Hello, everyone. I'm a rank newbie in the gym, seeking advice for building foundational strength. [32/M]

@brookiej Based on how people on my Instagram & Facebook feeds, it's very much a thing. They post pictures of the DVDs propped up against dumbbells and regurgitate the slogans from the show.

I'm happy they're approaching fitness in a way that works for them. I just hope that it leads then toward something more productive.

This has been: my measured and tactful response.

Unfiltered:

If you want some asshole to shout at you while you flail unproductively on your living room floor, I can show up and take your money. I guarantee I can convince you to work yourself to the point of exhaustion with daily - nay, twice daily, you can do it! - sessions, then let you take two weeks off to heal up some nagging injuries before starting enthusiastically from scratch. You'll make it through the whole program this time, bucko, and when you're done I bet you can handle my hardcore program S&M100X-2!

@rockmanjl9981 Very interested to see what comes of this thread.
I started Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 in mid-December.
We're about the same age and weight, and from similar background.

I've freaking stalled at this:
* Current ability (@5 sets of 5 reps):
* Squat: 135
* Deadlift: 155 (started at 85, been a great improvement)
* Bench press: 130
* Overhead press: 70

Everyone of those is less than what I could do when i was 15 years old. :(

P90X is not dogmatic, just lower the volume of the barking monkey trainer's voice and follow along. The P90x core and stretching routines I use between Ice Cream Fitness days when I don't go hiking.

Good luck with your journey,

everyone has been telling me to 'keep adding weight as long as you can, you can de=load your weight if you hit a wall. it's worth pushing early, it really is.'

I've hit that wall and deloaded my squats, mixing high bar and low bar squats now to keep it interesting.

Don't know where to go next either.

@miaadora Try eating more. I'm on a slow cut and my progress has slowed dramatically. Calories and protein really matter for building muscle. I was putting weight on the bar more consistently while bulking but I overdid it a bit and now I'm reigning in the paunch.

@salo While I don't really subscribe to a calorie-based view of nutrition, I am very mindful of what I eat and know how important relative amounts and sources (carbs, fats, protein) are to what I'm after.

So I may well be bumping up my intake in an attempt to put on weight (on the bar and on myself).

It's kinda funny, I've been doing a Primal-esque approach to eating for about 6 months, and I'm finding that it actually makes it kind of hard to increase your food intake.

When I was eating more carbs/grains, my hunger was much more acute, and over-eating was way easier to do. Now, I still get hungry, but it seems less urgent when I do and eating more than I'm used to is kinda difficult. Which I guess is Awesomesauce if you're trying to diet, but kind of a bummer if you're trying to bulk.

@miaadora Keep pushing is about the best advice I can offer. If you're not struggling to get that last rep up, or push for one more than you planned then its time to up something. Sidenote make sure you have safeties in place(and in the correct position) should you fail on that last rep. I like to refer to that as the squat incident. :(

I don't really follow a program but typically its lifting 3 days a week and 3 days running. Its a slow grind and you wont always be able to add weight. There usually isnt a magic fix except for consistency. I bring a notebook when i lift to track progress. I find it helps to look back a month or 3 ago and see what you were lifting compared to now.

OHP goes really really really slow so don't be discouraged there.

@miaadora Hadn't heard of Ice Cream fitness before, looked it up, thanks. I'd have to approximate a few of the accessory exercises (our gym has no machines or cable-stuff), but it looks doable.

I think for where I am now an on-off rhythm like that is what I'm looking for to allow for recovery time. As I do it more, I'm hoping I can work my recovery time between workouts down further and further.

I obviously can't offer you any advice, but I'd be curious to keep up with your progress as well. It'd be neat to have some folks in the same range/situation to compare notes with.

@rockmanjl9981 alt exercises when without cable machines:

tricep ez bar skullcrusher for the tricep pulldowns, remember the triceps are multi-pennate so you need the compound movement,

any type of abs exercise you prefer to replace the cable crunches, the /r/exercise community has some really good breakdowns of which ones work best. the p90x mountain climbers, and burpee variations, fitness ball ab work is another great one.

@rockmanjl9981 5/3/1 is an intermediate program. You'll progress too slowly. Instead, download the StrongLifts app and maybe add chins and dips. If you find that's not enough, switch to ICF.

@rockmanjl9981 I started weight training in October 2013 at 29, started with starting strength, and moved on to GSLP in around February of last year. It is a pretty great progression routine that has shown me some great results. I currently 1 rm deadlift 495(albeit ugly) squat 375x5, and bench 270x2.

For cardio, I would possibly check out a couple of the p90x videos, the yoga and plyo are pretty great workouts. Or, check out /r/running and couch 2 5k.

/r/bodyweightfitness is also pretty great and has some good info in their faq.

@rockmanjl9981 Sounds like you're doing it. You're not nearly at a level for a monthly progression scheme, and the volume of 5/3/1 kinda sucks. If you get bored, maybe something a little more vanity oriented like GSLP.

Back