hello vegan friends, this may be a dumb question but…

what’s the general consensus when it comes to 0 sugar, 0 calorie energy drinks and sodas?

if I were to consume 1-2 per day on average (so 250ml-500ml), would this affect my body recomp goals?

@christfollower21 The most recent meta analysis I read on this topic from memory was essentially that:
  1. People who drink sugar free drinks are typically more satiated and are more successful in managing their weight than those drinking sugary drinks
  2. Similar results to those who only drink water
  3. No evidence of harm
I have read that artificial sweeteners may have an association to higher rates of depression and have a negative impact on our microbiomes.

I personally drink them, I like them, I have found reaching my goals health wise not impacted by them.

Another anecdote, I got my father to switch from sugary to sugar free, he is losing weight slowly from this change.

@archer454 Agree. Not an expert, but I’m a public health grad student with an epidemiology concentration. The data is pretty clear that sugar free drinks are fine. You gotta drink like idk 15-30 a day to maybe increase your cancer risk. Yes you can drink water, but tell someone who drinks 10 regular sodas a day to drink just water. The diet sodas are more practical in that situation.

@christfollower21 I’m not worried about the body goals BUT I love Pepsi Max however it does contain a bit of caffeine (idk how much coz it doesn’t actually say it on the label in Australia at least it only says contains caffeine) AND it does cause me indigestion/heartburn sometimes 🫤 so I’m weaning off of Pepsi max, and I’ll have it sometimes.

Another thing I will say is that the really sweet sweeteners can possibly trigger the brain to crave more sugary things just by habit. That’s just something I heard tho so take it with a sip of no sugar soft drink. But for me I’ve been having sleep troubles and indigestion from the Pepsi so I’m looking into quitting daily consumption. ☺️

Not sure why this got a down vote but kombucha is a healthy fizzy drink alternative.
If youa void things like monster and red bull and go for some black coffee in the morning and supplement soda with kombucha you will feel much better about your intake.