Help getting in shape for a chunky monkey (37M, 6'2, 290 lbs)

Hey there,

Through a series of unfortunate injuries/accidents and poor choices during COVID lockdowns, I now have gluten intolerance, high uric acid and high sugar levels. I also went from a comfortable 200 lbs to 290.

I managed to royally mess up my ankle and knee in September, and prior to covid lockdowns, tore my rotator badly. The shoulder is still healing, the ankle/knee is almost there. Spoke to my Dr and based on our discussions, we decided I should do an 1800 calorie a day, low carb/keto lifestyle for the next 6 months. This is primarily due to me being unable to eat most carbs/starches/purines and needing to lose weight to make the rehab go smoother.

In addition I've been incorporating an 18:6 Intermittent fasting regiment the past week and it's done wonders. I haven't had any temptations to eat after 7 PM and somedays the issue is reaching a minimum of 1800 calories as I already feel satiated. Also 10+ glasses of nice ice cold water a day.

That's the background, so to keep this really simple. Goal is to drop down to at least 240lbs by end of this year (220lbs would be awesome, but 240 is 100% doable with just eating properly at least)

What would people recommend for basic cardio exercises to help it along? My apartment has access to an exercise bike, treadmill and basic weight bench. I would like to focus on cardio the next 6 months until my ankle is 100% and until my overall weight is a lot better. By then the shoulder should be good to go and I can incorporate slight weight lifting/resistance training into the routine.

Thank you for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated, and I'll be looking to incorporate this basic cardio in March.

Have a great weekend!

@living4christ560 I would ask your doctor, but walking is where I’d start. Your body is going through some significant changes, so keeping intensity low will avoid the risk of injury. As you near your goal weight and acclimate your body to regular exercise, you can incorporate some jogging.

@living4christ560 I was in the same place but I’m 5’9 I found that getting my ass up everyday and walking 5k while doing a full body weight program in the evening really has been helping me, I’m down from 290 to about 255 right now.
The keys for me is just getting my ass out the door as soon as I wake up and get my walk in. Then black coffee until my first meal around lunch time which I make sure is high in protein. My protein goal every day is 200g

@living4christ560 Grab some light dumbells and pump iron until you are gassed. Repeat 4x a week.

As an aside id discuss with your doctor re Intermittent Fasting and high uric acid, could unnecessarily trigger a gout flare up

@living4christ560 If that’s a regular doctor try an actual nutritionist instead.

A scary amount of doctors are actually clueless on diet.

It this was me, I would eat 2200 calories a day, if I was sedentary.

And as for cardio, it depends on physical limitations for if you can, get steps in.

Even if it’s just moving around the house, start slow and increase over time.

Your basal metabolic rate should be somewhere between 2200-2300 calories a day.

Any less than that and after a length of time you’ll start running into issues.

Always good to get a second opinion. I’ve seen too many people suffer because they listened to someone who thinks they know what they’re doing, but they really don’t.

My father in law is seeing a physio who’s giving really outdated advice.

A buddy of mine, who’s a physio specializing in performance, was disgusted when I told him what the other guy was doing/saying.

And this guy has gotten results every time. The other guys just making money and doesn’t care to keep updated.

Whatever you do, as long as you FEEL good, and can maintain it, is the best thing.

@living4christ560 It's great to hear that you have a plan in place to improve your health and reach your weight loss goals. Cardio exercises are an excellent way to burn calories, improve cardiovascular health, and support your weight loss journey. Given your current physical condition and goals, here are some basic cardio exercises you can incorporate using the exercise bike, treadmill, and weight bench in your apartment:

1. **Stationary Bike**:

- **Interval Training**: Alternate between high-intensity intervals (pedaling at a fast pace) and recovery intervals (pedaling at a moderate pace). Aim for 20-30 minutes of interval training sessions.

- **Steady-State Cycling**: Maintain a consistent pace at a moderate intensity for 30-45 minutes. This can help improve endurance and burn calories.

2. **Treadmill**:

- **Walking**: Start with brisk walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. You can gradually increase the speed or incline as your fitness improves.

- **Jogging/Running**: If your ankle and knee allow, you can incorporate jogging or running intervals into your routine. Start with short intervals and gradually increase the duration.

3. **Bodyweight Exercises**:

- **Jumping Jacks**: Perform a set of jumping jacks for 1-2 minutes to elevate your heart rate.

- **Bodyweight Squats**: Perform squats using your body weight or holding onto weights from the weight bench to engage your lower body muscles and elevate your heart rate.

4. **Cardio Circuit Training**:

- Combine different cardio exercises such as cycling, walking/jogging on the treadmill, and bodyweight exercises into a circuit. Perform each exercise for a set amount of time before moving on to the next one.

Remember to listen to your body, start at a comfortable intensity, and gradually increase the duration and intensity of your workouts as your fitness improves. It's essential to stay consistent with your exercise routine and combine it with a balanced diet to achieve your weight loss goals effectively. If you have any concerns or limitations due to your injuries, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare provider or a fitness professional before starting a new exercise regimen. Good luck on your fitness journey!

@living4christ560 The fact that you have access to a treadmill, exercise bike and weight bench is fantastic.

How's your mobility with the ankle? Any problems walking? I lost a shit ton of weight and gained a ton of leg muscle doing incline treadmill walks. 2 years later it's still the backbone of my overall fitness, though Ive increased the pace to a near jog since then. But if you don't have issues walking, I think you'd be fine to start at a 3 to 3.5 Mph pace on an incline (I do 10 degree, as high as mine will go).

If walking is an issue the exercise bike may be a better option if the pedaling rotation proves less strenuous than walking.

I lost the weight before I got into lifting. Not sure whether or not this was the correct call. Quicker weight loss I think but it meant I had a tougher hill to climb when I did begin lifting regularly. I will say that pushups are tough to beat. Maybe throw in some planks also.

@living4christ560 Not sure how athletic you were before in your life, but I was in a similar situation where I'd gotten a few injuries and put on extra weight, at the same height. What I decided was that in order to safely exercise and not stress my joints, I first needed to lose a lot of weight. So I too did keto, dropped 75% of the weight I wanted to drop and then started mixing cardio in. My goal at the time was very very long bike rides. I think yours is different as you want to lift. Would still recommend dropping most of the weight through diet first.

@living4christ560 Good luck with the injuries. I hate cardio machines but the elliptical and the arc trainer are nice low impact. And if you can stand walking on a treadmill (I can't), that's good too and softer than walking on pavement.

If you have access to hiking trails (cycle paths sometimes have dirt track) that would be nice too for walking.