High Blood Pressure from KB’s

@dawn16 I’ve been testing twice a day, at the same times, for the past few weeks.

Mostly I’ve been in the 85-90 range for diastolic and sometimes in the 78-80.

@jimpncc Wow, good on you. I would think it could be due to two things, one, of this training methodology is more difficult than what you have done previously, your body could be in a “alarm“ phase in it’s adaptive response or something salty got added to your diet. Two guesses you could ponder, but don’t rule out that it could be something more pernicious.

@dawn16 Thanks for your reply.

I’ve stopped training for the past week and only been walking. I will see how it goes for another week and hopefully pick it back up then.

@jimpncc This is the first time I've heard of high blood pressure being tied to KB training.

Eating a good amount of fruits and vegetables sounds great, especially the ones that are supposed to reduce blood pressure. One of my aunts used to eat bananas all the time. She said it was for the potassium. Well, she had legit high blood pressure, unlike me, so it was really for managing her blood pressure.

Watch your salt... I started cutting salt after being told by a nurse that my blood pressure was elevated - so technically not "high" blood pressure but one step below that. You might want to double check your salt consumption. Check the food labels and stuff. I used to season my veggies with soy sauce for stir frying - after seeing just how much salt goes into soy sauce, I cut down on that quite a bit.

you didn't mention smoking. Quitting smoking may also help.

Best thing of course is working with a doctor you trust.

@jleigh Thanks for your reply. I’ve been managing my salt and trying to increase my potassium intake.

I don’t smoke.

I’ve been working with my doctor, but I’ve incorporated the lifestyle changes that were recommended. I would prefer to not take pharmaceuticals.

@jimpncc Out of curiosity, how long do you wait, after you finish your workout, before you take your blood pressure?

The last nurse who said my BP was elevated, saw me after I ran to her clinic because I was late.

The first time I took my own BP with a stethoscope, I got a measurement so high I wondered how I wasn't dead already. Turned out I didn't wait long enough after drinking a cup of coffee. Also, my technique as a beginner to using the stethoscope was probably suspect.

@jleigh In the morning I take 30 minutes before I start my first round. In the evening it is 1 hour past my last round.

I use an automated BP system, no stethoscope.

@jimpncc Thanks.

I've resigned myself the fact that I wasted my money on the stethoscope, because it requires too much skill for accurate measurements. Will probably get one of those electronic devices for measuring BP

@jimpncc You might try to reach mr Zonin and discuss your findings with him. And also perhaps switch programs to see if programming is the cause or related.

@jimpncc There’s a helpful chart in a publication I’ve linked below. Essentially, an activity is classified based on how much of a static component (y-axis) and a dynamic component (x-axis) it requires. In Sports Medicine, we might use this reference when recommending exercise programs for patients with specific co-morbidities (e.g. aortic stenosis). Weightlifting (KB) is classified as high static component and low dynamic. Unlike running (which is low static, high dynamic), a task like KBs that requires a predominantly intense static component will require two main changes in the cardiovascular system (1) increase in arterial pressure (systolic or, more importantly, diastolic blood pressure) as well as (2) increase in the contractile state of the heart. The main takeaway would be that kettle bell swinging is primarily, as the publication suggests, exerting a pressure load on the cardiovascular system rather than a volume load (ie during running when its trying to move as much blood through the system as possible). One might consider an evaluation with a cardiologist to review your risk factors and assess what might be driving your blood pressure increase including eight plus small training sessions per day. Another piece to consider is the effect of time restricted feeding for several years. Activating your sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) for most hours of the day each day while you fast (and train) could have some potential to alter blood pressure although it might help to keep you lean(er). Good luck!

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000237

Back