Home gym: Dumbbell vs Barbell

tdtickle09

I am 45m. In my teens and early 20's I was a gym rat that was in incredible shape. Because of life and priorities, I became overweight and out of shape, and for the most part got very little actual exercise over the last 20 years. I purchased a functional trainer 4 months ago, and have completely transformed my body with massive strength and muscle gains in what seems like a very short period of time. The problem is that I am now maxing out the weight stacks on most exercises, and in order to keep progressing I need to add additional resistance. As I approach 50, would I be better suited with a good set of adjustable dumbbells or a rack and barbel? I don't really want to do both as that is really expensive.

@tdtickle09 Rack and barbell. You will max out adjustable dumbbells as quickly as your functional trainer.

You can do compound lifts with the barbell and isolation exercises with your functional trainer.

What kind of functional trainer do you have and do you like it?

@steve12 My functional trainer is a Centr 2 (previously called Inspire FTX). It has been fantastic, and will continue to be as long as I can figure out other ways to get more resistance for the big lifts.

If I went with adjustable dumbbells, I would be looking at dumbbells that adjusted up to 120lbs (iron master or the upcoming Rep x Pepin) so I really don't think I would be growing out of those. And my concern with barbell as I get older is the rigidity of the movements, and increased chances of injury to shoulders. But with all this strength and muscle gains I have been experiencing the last few months, I really want a rack and barbell, but have read many articles about dumbbells being generally better for older lifters for injury prevention reasons and more range of motion exercises.

@tdtickle09 I have the Ironmasters. I like 'em but not as much as rubber coated dumbbells. The edges are sharp enough when doing 70 lbs. I can't imagine how they'd feel at 120. Also, the grips are pretty aggressive. They shred the callouses I developed from using the regular old rubber dumbbells at the gym.

They take about a minute to change the weights on both dumbbells so they aren't great for drop sets or super sets if you need to change the weights.

But they do take a beating when they are dropped which inevitably happens.

Unlike the other commenter, I am prone to injury as I've aged. I get random muscle strains for no good reason. You just have to know your body. Some people have muscle like iron. Mine's more like Velcro.

@tdtickle09 If it’s one or the other, go with a rack and barbell, unless lower body isn’t a priority. Ultimately you’ll be better off with both if you can afford the space and the dollars.

@tdtickle09 Rack and barbell. Suggest you Read Jonathon M Sullivan The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 for a more complete explanation.

For space reasons I use independent squat stands outside and just dump the rubber bumper plates if I ever need to do so. My stands, barbell, and bumper plates has been the best ROI of any purchase. I got my bar and plates used from a used sporting good store. Bought bumpers new but don’t see the company anymore. See https://www.garagegymreviews.com/best-bumper-plates-guide

@tdtickle09 Hey!

Given your jaw-dropping transformation, both dumbbells and barbells can be your trusty sidekicks in this fitness journey. Picture this: dumbbells are like the Swiss Army knives of the gym world, offering a plethora of exercises to keep your muscles guessing and your gains coming. They're fantastic for balancing out muscle growth and preventing any sneaky imbalances from creeping in. Plus, they're compact, so they won't hog up your precious floor space.

Now, let's talk about barbells. They're the muscle-bound behemoths, perfect for those powerhouse movements like squats and deadlifts that'll have you feeling like a superhero in no time. With barbells, you're not just lifting weights; you're conquering mountains, one rep at a time.

Now, here's the kicker. Since you're hitting the big 5-0 soon and looking for something that's efficient, safe, and downright effective, adjustable dumbbells might just be your golden ticket. They offer flexibility, safety, and convenience—all wrapped up in a neat little package. But hey, if you're all about those epic lifts and chasing those heavyweight dreams, splurging on a rack and barbell setup could be the ultimate power move for your home gym.

At the end of the day, it's all about finding what lights that fire in your belly and keeps you charging forward towards your fitness goals. So whether you're wielding dumbbells like a seasoned pro or hoisting barbells like a titan of strength, just remember: you've got this!

Back