Home gym - machines

txthomas

Love the support and responses with the group, lots of motivation. Pulled the trigger on a Peloton+ tread. With that addition, I’d like to add on some weights to the gym set up. The tread is going to take up some room so I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience using Virtruvian or Speediance type of trainers? I’m thinking of getting one or the other, the reviews seem to be all over the board. For me, 38 y/o dad of two. Not looking to get huge but want to drop some lbs. Any advice or suggestions on either those machines would be helpful!

@txthomas I bought the powerblock exp and a used adjustable bench. The amount of work you can do with just that is crazy. I'm already eyeing up the first expansion set on the powerblocks to get more challenging leg and chest work.

@txthomas Honestly….skip the smart stuff and get an adjustable kettlebell, adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable bench.

This all really depends on your budget and space but all those are very space efficient, especially if the bench is able to stand up right.

@txthomas
  1. Both of those things seems expensive and unnecessary. If you want to build some muscle at home and save space just get adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable bench.
  2. If you want to lose weight you need to do it through your diet. You need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. If your only method of achieving the deficit is via working out, you’re going to end up disappointed with your results. It takes a lot of work to burn 500 calories (probably much more than you think it does) and it takes 30 seconds to eat a handful of nuts and gain it all back.

@txthomas Honestly, if space is an issue I’d start with something like an adjustable kettlebell. Maybe $200-300 and it opens up a ton of movements. Good way to find out whether you enjoy those kinds of workouts before you drop thousands for something with more capability.

@txthomas This is not a thing where more tech and money work better. Lumps of iron work great.

The problem with cable resistance is they are awful for pressing because there is such low stability due to the pivot point you can't move enough weight so it feels hard but you get low stimulus to the muscles.

Back