How do y’all work on your shoulders on a PPL routine

susiec

Started PPL 2 months ago (after 7-8 months of basic isolated days). How do you guys push through the shoulder exercises. By the time Im done w my Push exercises, I can only shoulder press 20 kgs or do a military press of 20 kgs and maybe like Lateral raises of 5 kgs each.

Should I add 2 exercises or 6 sets of shoulders on leg day itself.

@susiec First thing you should look into is if you’re engaging your shoulders in chest and triceps movements unnecessarily, you might want to look into your form.

If you’re doing a bench press/dumbbell press or even machine press for that matter are you taking your elbows way back behind your torso?
You’ll be perfectly fine with bringing back your arm after getting parallel with the ground.

Also, make sure you tuck your elbows slightly in and are not flaring them out that much in chest movements.

Lastly, make your movements more stable, seated dumbbell overhead press, machine overhead press instead of barbell press, lateral raises can be done at cable station(wrap the loop on your elbow instead of grabbing the handle in your hands to decrease joint reaction forces)

And yes, adding more volume will help too.

@susiec I used to do them on the pull day, as i feel the shoulders have much more synergy overall with pulling movements alongside the traps. You should get more than enough stimulus just from pressing for the front delts, so i've never really isolated them.

@susiec A workout routine should be made based on your weakest muscle first and always make sure your exercises are from difficult to easy try focusing more on unilateral movement with a control over your range of motion and time under tension specially on machines.