How is PHUL for Hypertrophy and For Strength as Well

fredruck

Hello, So, I Have my exams coming up and everything so i am thinking to go to gym for 4 days and will add some running on other 2 days, that would make it 6 days of working out so i wanted to ask y'all, how is PHUL split or should i just do Full Body 4x a week? this feels really taxing though, but would give me enough volume, also i am cutting these days

i am pretty sure this split is good for Strength but not really sure about Hypertrophy

EDIT - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1znTANk7815bEobFVtpvHS

that's how the split looks like.

@fredruck More volume doesn't mean more muscle gain. If you are not recovering well then this more volume can backfired. Listen to your body you can follow PPL split till exams with progress overload,you'll get same results more or less.

@graciedog can't follow PPL, since i will be going gym 4 days, till now i followed arnold split and PPL before that, now i have to devote more time to studies, and with my routine i will probably have less energy so thinking to switch to PHUL

@fredruck You can do PPL 3 days and one day for abs/cardio maybe.
If you manage to recover and give yout best while doing full body for 4 days then you can do that as well.
Else another option is upper body lower body rest then again upper body lower body.

@fredruck You are overthinking this. There is no difference between strength and hypertrophy for beginners. You will make similar gains.

Follow your Arnold split without arms day. Do it 4 times a week. Do arms on legs day. Keep arms limited to Bicep and Tricep. Remove abs and Calves for now.

@suamaytinh5s my bad, i should have mentioned, i am actually going to the gym for more than 2 years and have made really good gains, it's just these days i was kinda inconsistent and want to stick to a program

@fredruck I don't want to shit on your progress. Nor I want to disappoint you. You are consistent. So I am trying to point you to a right direction.
Kudos for following it for 2 years. But you have barely exhausted your newbie gains in 2 years. We all are beginners than we would like to admit.

Also whats your goal in doing this new approach? Its not clear to me from your post.

What's your max free weight lift? Now I know this is not exact measurement. But gains come with strength. So you can get a rough idea.
You can compare your lifts here to get an idea where you are in your journey -
https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards

@suamaytinh5s hey, i know man, you are trying to help, i am sorry if my previous reply seemed rude, it wasn't mean't to be that way

and my 1RM looked like -

bench was 85KG for 2 reps at 74KG or 75KG, now it's lower since i stopped training regularly ( this was in april 2023 )

max squat was 120KG or 125KG for 1 rep at 78KG ( january 2023 )

i stopped doing deadlifts because, it used to effect my back workout and later i injured my lower back, but back then my 1RM was 125KG, I don't remember what my bw was, probably around 74KG or 75KG as well, this was around october 2022

@fredruck I think this version of PHUL looks pretty good for hypertrophy. It doesn't just have bench, squat, deadlift plus accessories.

I like the exercise selection and maybe for hypertrophy, you can take the rep ranges as 6-8 for the compounds instead of 3-5. You could also replace the deadlifts with RDLs for heavy hip hinge volume.

But otherwise I think this seems like a good program for hypertrophy. Definitely recommend.

@benajmk yep but do you think this volume is enough for arms and shoulders, this is the thing, which is slightly putting me off, i would modify this a bit, i think, that's what i did today.

@fredruck You're right. It's definitely lower in volume for arms, especially when compared to the Arnold split you mentioned following earlier. One thing you could do is add a set of isolation for each either on the upper if you have the energy or on the lower day. I'd personally recommend adding on the lower day.