How long can it take to see significant improvement in cardio endurance?

@mtol117 Wow, really? This is wild. I usually run in a pretty popular park, and I feel like I never see anyone running slower than me except for the active grannies (who are my faves, tbh). I always take it easy, and my normal comfortable pace is probably around 7:30/km. I’ve never done a speed run, but I think I was pushing a bit too hard at the start of C25K, before I learned that running shouldn’t feel like actual torture. I’m going to try for a full 5k this weekend! Thanks for the encouragement.

Edit - ahh I just saw the edit, this makes a lot more sense. After I felt inspired from reading these comments yesterday I managed to run 4.2km in 30 min, which is the best I’ve done so far! I felt like I could keep running at the end, so I’ll try for a full 5k tomorrow and won’t worry about the pace.

@kmar123 Most people only need 150 minutes of moderate cardio a week - 21 mins every day, or 30 minutes for five days - to improve CV health. Moderate cardio can really just be walking briskly enough to sweat (3.5-4 mph, to where you feel like you could also break into a jog but aren’t)

@kmar123 For me, I think I was close to finishing C25K when I noticed an improvement in everyday life. I noticed it in my breathing - when I got out of breath walking fast or going up stairs, I noticed that I just breathed... differently. Like I had more lung capacity! Felt pretty awesome, and addicting, and it's helped me to continue running and increase my weekly mileage after the program, too.

Though, I have been running on and off (mostly off) since I was a teenager, so I didn't start from complete zero, but I also hadn't run at all since breaking my ankle 2 years ago. So it's likely natural that it's taking longer for you.

My unprofessional and subjective opinion is that it's best to follow a plan to make sure you're constantly challenging yourself, for example C25K, and there are similar programs for swimming and rowing too. Again, not a professional, just my opinion based on what worked for me!

@kmar123 If you don't have any medical concerns, see if you can increase your salt consumption. I seriously sucked at anything cardio until I corrected the amount of salt I eat.

@wilaywaly not sure, blood pressure was always in the normal range when I measured it. But I'd feel light headed sometimes when I get up too quickly. And I couldn't run for more than 2 minutes, no matter what programs I tried. 2 weeks after I started adding salt to my meals (I mostly cook my own meals but never learned how to season them properly) I was able to run for 20min. Now I can jog for an hour and not feel tired after that.

@kmar123 Also anecdotal but I'm doing the coich to 5k and I find my endurance comes in spurts. I was stuck on the 5 minute runs for 4 weeks (runnung 3 times a week). It felt likw I would never be able to progress. Then one day, I ran and kept running and was able to go for 10 minutes. I'm now trying to go for 15.

@kmar123 My experience is anecdotal, but the kind of cardio dictates how fast mine improved.

I think research shows hiit is king of efficiency. Hill sprints will get you to better cardio, faster that 20mins of, 70%s. (as in, 70% effort)

However, as someone who enjoys 70%s, I find that duration can bridge that gap a lot. 2 x per day of 40mins @ 70% effort in bike commuting has plummeted my heart rate and I am doing better in strava that I ever have.

I used a concept 2 rower and did 500km in one month (16k a day average, approx 1hr 5-1hr15ish) and that also really really improved my cardio, fast.

I do cf on top of the above, so that hits the interval niche, as well.