How long do you rest for in between sets?

distantthoughts

My workouts have felt really stretched out recently, roughly 2 hours on average. Idk if its my rest times or the amount of volume I do. So my question for y’all is for how long do you rest in between sets?

I saw Jeff Nippards video on it, 3 minutes for compound exercises and just over 1 minute for isolation, thats what I’ve been doing.

@distantthoughts Data showed 3 minutes was considerably better than 1 minute. I think a good guideline is 2-3 minutes on less fatiguing movements and 3+ on the bigger movements.

When I used to do Hack Squats I was resting 5 minutes and even that felt short.

@helen2002 I just recently switched to 3 min between compound lifts. I just wish there was more of a consensus, so many different opinions when you Google it. But that study you mentioned is hard to ignore.

@aeb2000 It's all peripheral fatigue, so in theory waiting even longer should mean you'll have less negative feedback for the next set. A lot of people here will use 4-6 minutes on a heavy squat set for example. But 2-3 minutes is a good guide, 2 if you're in a rush, 3 if you want to be sure you're optimal. There's no downsides to the longer rests.

@distantthoughts 2-3 minutes for isolations, 3-4 minutes for compounds. I take all sets to failure or 0 RIR so anything less than that just isn’t enough. I keep my workouts to roughly an hour by keeping volume somewhat low

@distantthoughts Most of my workouts are only 10-12 working sets; 5-6 exercises with 2 working sets each. I lift 5-6 days a week though. I’d definitely have to do more sets if I was in the gym 3-4 days a week, but my schedule just works better for shorter more frequent workouts

@johnseolinkbuilding I'm a beginner training upper lower split. Please explain how you do it. what exercises you superset? do you rest a little before going to the next set? How many sets per muscle per session, how many days do you workout per week? Just give me your workout routine