How to get started lifting?

truthandlogic

Does anyone have tips (either routines and or equipment) for getting started lifting weights? Total beginner and would be doing this at home. Looking to build muscle and tone all over, but especially arms and upper legs/booty.

I have hand weights/dumbbells for working out, but the heaviest is 8lb. I also find that it is not so easy to do deadlifts, e.g. with a dumbbell in each hand, so wondering whether I should get a bar & plates? Or a kettlebell? Live in an apartment building so cannot do a lot of jumping or thumping lol. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

@truthandlogic If you’re starting with lighter dumbbells and don’t want to buy heavier atm - I get it, they’re expensive - I think supersets and high rep sets will be your friend right now, as well as using bands to increase tension (bands are pretty inexpensive).

@truthandlogic I start with body exercises the first month to nail down form. Or use the bar with no weights. Or very light dumbbells.

I like Jeff Nippard videos for looking at good form and form variation options.

I like keeping a bench or low chair nearby for squats until I'm consistent on squatting low but not needlessly low. I still like to use that at heavier weights.

After a week to a month of good form where I can do 3x10, I start adding weight and play with the rep numbers.

I might have a day that's just adding weight to something like bench or squats until I hit 3 rep max or 1 rep max. Then I use that number to tackle lifting proportionately to my max. I might do 50% at 3x12 or 70% at 3x8 for example.

@abastzar I second the bodyweight exercises for beginners! I also like using resistance bands when the bodyweight exercises are no longer challenging.

@truthandlogic I think eventually getting dumbbells where you can adjust the weight (I’d get a set that goes up to 50 lbs or so) would be a good investment! Starting Strength is a good resource, that was basically the book/methodology my ex used to teach me lifting

@truthandlogic Sohee Lee Carpenter’s (@soheefit) “Lift at Home” programs offer DIY options for weight lifting at home using things like furniture or a filled backpack.

https://soheefit.com/lift-at-home/

In general, I recommend Sohee’s content because she’s very clear in her instructions (she has the credentials!) and has an empathetic, realistic approach to fitness [and diet].

@truthandlogic You’ll need heavier weight if you want to grow your legs and glutes. These are very large muscles and can handle heavy loads.

To start you can do a lot of unilateral (one side) lifts such as b stance rdl, single leg glute bridge, reverse lunges, bulgarian split squats. If you’re going to do this at home it just depends how much $$ you want to invest in it. I would maybe start with a 20 lb kettlebell at least as these are small and don’t take up much room for apartment living.

If you are a total beginner you have lots to learn but also lots to gain!!! I suggest looking up beginner hypertrophy at home program. Ideally you want to be lifting heavy enough that you’re in the 7-10 rep range per set.

@truthandlogic keep up with dumbbells and bodyweight stuff for a while. then i'd honestly recommend gym because u will need plenty of plates if u want to go heavy overtime, as u should normally.

u don't need deadlifts in ur program whatsoever, and doing them with 8lb dumbbells isn't gonna benefit much. it's a power move done with heavy weights and low reps.

u could do plenty of upper body work with dumbbells - chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, tricep extensions, rows, pull ups (negatives) and push ups. for lower body u could do squats (split, romanian, goblet), RDLs and such with those weights. just basic suggestions, there're more exercises u could do for sure.

but soon enough u will notice that even single leg RDL with 2x8lb dumbbells will be too easy and u would have to do too many reps to get enough muscle stimulation. and too many reps turns weightlifting into cardio since u will get out of breath faster than muscle gives out. our legs are very strong, and buying 100kg worth of plates and bar may be very expensive