How to implement deload week

eleanorwhite

Trained for 20+ years, struggling with a few injuries so done bodyweight only for the last 2 yrs.

Always done full body workouts and recently been doing 4 week cycle where i stick to the same reps for the 4 weeks and do week 1 2sets week 2 3sets week 3 4sets week 4 5sets
So i get a little delaod

Thinking of changing to a 6 day push pull legs
Generally struggle with recovery so trying to keep things minimal. 43 yrs old.

M 3x Pullups 2x rows + biceps

T 3x Pushups 2x Dips + Core

W 3x Squats 2x lunge + Cardio

T 3x Rows 2x pullups + biceps

F 3x Press 2x pushups + Core

S 3x lunge 2x squat + Cardio

S Rest

This is what im thinking but how best to do a deload week, just half the reps id normally do that week?

@eleanorwhite Half the reps is a common approach.

Personally I find that if I'm ready for a deload that even that feels like more than I need. Even if the intensity is way down, doing the same exercises still doesn't help me to mentally deload.

When I deload I'll just do a couple of daily mobility exercises and some other light movement, maybe just try to get a light pump, and that's it.

@eleanorwhite i prefer to just take some days off for my deload. If i go into a session with the idea of doing half the amount of sets I feel unfufilled and either do more than I should or feel like it was a waste.

@eleanorwhite Depends. Deloads are one of those things you just have to feel out.

Sometimes you'll need a more drastic deload. Sometimes a pivot week is good. Where you keep everything the same but switch to less taxing or different exercises to give joints a rest from a specific stress. So maybe that's chin ups instead of pullups, split squats instead of lunges, etc...

Seeing comments saying keep intensity high but reduce sets. Not wrong. Has the benefit that you don't get rusty with your working weight.

I like doing half the sets with like 60% of working weight. Just heavy enough that technique can't go to complete trash, but light enough that you get a mental break from grinding.

@eleanorwhite I typically do only one full body session during deload week. I keep the same intensity, maybe a little bit more than the week before and do 2 max. 3 sets of everything, no more. I only do compounds, no isolation if connective tissue feel ok.

Normal weeks is upper/lower 2x, so 4 strength training sessions + 1 cardio/L-Sit/Handstand

@eleanorwhite Good question because if you deload incorrectly, you can actually deload the training stimulus and the session won't really be useful. When you deload, try deloading the SETS. That way you still get an intense stimulus, but you simply get less of it.

It's kind of like if you were in Algebra class and wanted a break. You wouldn't drop down to basic addition and subtraction math. You're past that and it would be a waste of time. Instead, you'd leave class early and get some rest.

Similar applies to deloads: Take some time to leave early and recover! That will help!

@jermyn reducing volume is certainly one way to do this. but your implication that a full deload presumes a loss of fitness. this is simply not true at all. it takes quite a bit longer than a week to do that.

Indeed, much of what we do is called "dual factor training" where we work out, improving fitness, but much of the fitness gain is masked by accruing fatigue. that is the duality: fitness and fatigue. in a full deload, the accrued fatigue disappears, leaving the accrued fitness a chance to shine unimpeded.

@dom77 I'm sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I never said that there would be a loss of fitness. I said that the session wouldn't really be that useful if one were to deload the intensity or the reps in a set. Those sets wouldn't really be that challenging. If we are going to do that, we could simply NOT train at all and maybe even have BETTER recovery.

So instead for a deload, what I suggest is keeping the intensity and the same RIR. But instead of doing a full session, do only part of it. Drop the sets by 40-60%. Then the sets that are done are still a challenge, but it's not repeated as often. That can lead to deload sessions where you still even hit PRs!

I hope that made more sense. :D