I’ve started exercising for 2 weeks but have weighed more than ever?

pemuoi96

I started a medication that can cause weight gain as a side effect. I’d gained ten pounds in a brief period of time (maybe 1-2 months). I worked out for almost 2 weeks now and tried to focus on protein and tracking cals. But now I am 6 lbs heavier than before I started exercising? Is this normal/ muscle or is something wrong?

@pemuoi96 When you start exercising your body starts creating more blood and retaining more water for recovery. I went up 5lbs the first week but didn’t change size. Even this week, I was finally able to bike outside after 3 weeks of bad weather, I weighed 146.8 immediately after, now I’m in the 149’s. I only use the scale as a data point because it tends to be so inaccurate. I try on my clothes every 2 weeks to see the progress I’ve made. In times of mental weakness I remind myself that no one has gained weight while working out in a calorie deficit, I just need to keep my head down and keep doing what I’m doing.

@cph This makes sense! I really need to focus on the caloric intake and being in a deficit but I’ve been also trying to focus on protein I’m not as literate in knowledge about fitness as I’d like to be so I appreciate the info🫶

@pemuoi96 I'm reposting this link that explains that if you've ratcheted up the exercise, you've likely got extra water weight right now. Extra water, extra glycogen in muscles, cortisol..all sorts of stuff going on. None of it is fat, but it's there to help you with your increased athleticism. You might also see people refer to this as the "stuffed sausage" phase. :)

@truerhema Wow! Thank you! I’m in the same boat as OP and wondering why, when I’ve suddenly started getting strict about calories/macros and working out again, I’ve put on a few pounds in the past ten days, I was going crazy! This was exactly what I needed to see.

@garbia You're welcome! I decided to just keep reposting it all the time because it comes up so often, and I just hate the idea of people just starting to get into fitness being turned off immediately because that scale shoots up. They could miss out on so much if they give up right away!

@truerhema Wow! Thank you! I’m in the same boat as OP and wondering why, when I’ve suddenly started getting strict about calories/macros and working out again, I’ve put on a few pounds in the past ten days, I was going crazy! This was exactly what I needed to see.

@pemuoi96 How consistently are you tracking calories?

A bit of weight gain when introducing exercise is fairly normal, but after a few weeks of continued gains, it raises some red flags that something else is awry.

@pemuoi96 I would really dial in on tracking. You may think that you're eating the same, but a few bites here and there outside of "normal" can really add up if you're petite.

@mj_1969 You’re right I’m really not putting in enough effort into diet and if it’s disproportionate to my efforts in exercise it probably isn’t doing me as much good as I may have thought

@pemuoi96 It could be some inflammation + normal weight fluctuations. Are you close to your period or anything?

I can be 3+ pounds heavier after a few intense workouts. And I’ve been doing it almost 5 years. I take my rest days and it drops back down. That’s why recovery is important. Recovery is slower when you’re new to a routine.

You might need to be more precise with tracking. Are you weighing your food or guessing? How much water and protein are you getting? Protein will help your muscles recover- that’s why having some protein right after a workout is helpful. How much sleep are you getting?

It’s only been 2 weeks- it takes some trial and error to get it all figured out

@pemuoi96 Welcome to weight loss. Buckle in because it’s a lot slower than you imagine but not that slow in hindsight. You didn’t say what your calories are set at… it’s quite personal but will dictate your rate of change. You’re on medication that is working against you and will need to talk to your doctor to factor it in.

I can almost guarantee that if you just started counting calories you’re probably underestimating them.

And the type of exercise you do makes a difference. I personally am a pretty naturally muscular person so have been focusing on maximum calorie burn which means I do intense high cardio a lot. This is also what I LIKE to do, which matters as well. Strength folks here will be able to speak more to the benefits of strength but IMO it will be a slower road because you just don’t burn as many calories. You will build muscle and that will affect your TDE… so, alas… it’s all a choice.

I have hypothyroidism, type 1 diabetes with insulin resistance and a friggen slow metabolism. I blew up to a weight I couldn’t imagine but have lost 25 pounds even with these issues working against me since January and have gone from a size large in workout wear to a size small (so a size 12 to a 6) in this time.

Oh and mindset goes a long way too. I have had to adopt the mindset that I’m doing what I’m doing regardless of the results. Listening to zen mind beginners mind helped me a lot with this honestly. But I am human and get frustrated and keep a journal where I can vent and complain. Then l lace up my fucking shoes and I dance baby. And weight loss can be a totally frustrating experience. A lot of us women find that we hover or even gain and then lose the weight officially once a month in a drop rather than seeing the scale change day by day. Measuring helps too, but it’s a slow(ish) game as well. Enjoy the ride!

@foulendeparis Wow congratulations firstly. May I ask what your intake was like calorically? Were you tracking? Also in terms of cardio - when you say “high intensity” do you mean running? Does the intensity impact the amount of calories burned? Sorry for the lack of knowledge in advance and thank you.

@pemuoi96 I was tracking. Honestly, I aimed for 1000 a day and average about 1200-1300. I do really high energy dance and kickboxing. Essentially high intensity in terms of getting your heart rate way up.