I 47 yo (f) gained 20lbs in 2 1/2 months! Help!

pechbo

Sober from alcohol for 2 months, gained technically 23lbs and I'm very unhappy about it. Please spare me the speeches about how I'm "supposed" to put on weight when I first get sober. I also know certain medications increase my appetite. I'm 5'8 and I'm not ok with looking and feeling this way. What are some realistic attainable goals I can start off with?

@pechbo So i'm going to preface with... you're SUPPOSED to put on weight when first getting sober. Generally, alcohol causes one of two reactions in people. Severe binge eating, or severe under eating, there's not an in-between.

So now that we've got that out of the way, realistic and attainable goals should be prefaced as follows (in my opinion):
  1. Calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). There are many free calculators online that you can use.
  2. Figure out exactly how many calories you're eating and ACCURATELY track them. I suggest an app like MyFitnessPal (That's the most common one, and the one I use personally)
  3. Get yourself into a caloric deficit!! Many people will advocate for crazy crash diets but that is NOT the way to have long term success, nor is it healthy. Most literature points toward starting with a deficit of 200-500 kcal per day. How to calculate this is TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - 200 (or 500), and that's how many calories you SHOULD be eating. It's not "oh, I walked 3 miles today so I can sneak a cookie or two". That's how our weightloss journey comes to an abrupt halt as no progress will be made.
Depending on if you're going to a gym, or working out at home this shouldn't be difficult. If you truly dislike how you look in the mirror, those 3 steps are a piece of piss to follow and implement. I can speak from experience. It's when you're not really wanting to change that it becomes "difficult". Hope this helps!

Edit: Morning brain had me write "BMR" and not "TDEE" in point 3.

@pechbo I’ve found Noom to be a very good weight loss program. It utilizes cognitive behavioral therapy lessons so you are mentally & emotionally supported while working to change your habits. Free for 1 week to start, 2 if you get a referral, but it takes 3-4 weeks to get the hang of it.

@pechbo I gained weight when I got sober too. I went to a 30 day rehab and came back 10-15 lbs heavier. And then gained a little more over the next couple of months. It evened out eventually. This early on in sobriety is not the time to be worried about weight gain. Do whatever you possibly can to keep from drinking. If that means a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, so be it.

@pechbo First of all, you should be so proud of yourself for getting sober. I know it's difficult to watch your body change. The health benefits of your sobriety likely greatly outweigh the risks of your weight gain.

Personally, I like to set goals unrelated to the weight shown on the scale. When I quit smoking (which also can result in weight gain), I tracked goals that had to do with how my body was feeling and performing instead. For example, after one month you may see improvement in how your skin looks. After x number of weeks, your resting heart rate will decrease, etc. You could also choose to make lifestyle changes, such as learning to cook in a healthy way or how to meal prep.

I recently began going to the gym and focusing on my health more after an injury that required surgery. I set small goals for myself like these below that emphasis overall health and lifestyle changes as well as things I do in the gym. Maybe they will help you, or give you a starting place since everyone's goals are different.
  1. Ability to do a wall sit for 1 minute
  2. Ability to plank for 1 minute
  3. Ability to run 1 mile without stopping
  4. Do one active thing each day. Some days, that's just walking my dog one mile in the neighborhood. Other days, it's more intensive.
  5. Eat vegetarian or vegan for most meals, or focus on vegetable-heavy meals when possible.

@pechbo Look up carb cycling on Google and try that. I've lost 12 lbs of stubborn weight with just cycling my carbs each week. I keep track of my macros with MyFitnessPal. You quit drinking and are probably in perimenopause. Keep that in mind. Your hormones may be waaay wacked out right now.

I'm proud of you. Let me know if you need some delicious recipes. I can send you some easy ones to help with your start.