I just strained my rotator cuff. About 2 weeks in, can't lift for 4 more weeks. What adjustments should I make?

dtik9

To give some background: I've been lifting for about 12 years, I'm 42(M) and my compound lifts are well above average. I do a lot of barbell and dumbbell work and like to run as well.

My split goes:

Day 1 - Chest/triceps
Rest day
Day 2- Back/biceps
Rest day
Day 3 - Legs/shoulders
Day 4 - 5k or more run
Rest day

Right off the bat, I'm fairly certain my shoulder was aggravated doing deadlifts. I'm questioning whether I should bother with that at all at my age. I'm doing PT now and will eventually be working in yoga once the pain subsides enough for me to do so. I can't return to lifting until probably week 1 of October.

I'm looking for anything - what lifts should I avoid? Which ones have helped those of you who have had an injury? I have a good set of PT stretches and exercises from my doctor too.

Thoughts?

TL;DR - 42 year old dude working through a shoulder injury looking for any advice for when he goes back in 1 month.

@dtik9 I am much older than you and still deadlift. With decent form and a proper warmup, you should be able to continue deadlifts for at least a few more decades.

If I had to pick an exercise to give up, it would be the bench press. I either injured my rotator cuff or front deltoid a few weeks ago while benching and bringing the bar to my chest is still painful. I didn't notice it at all when completing a current age PR deadlift.

When injured, I normally modify my program instead of skipping workouts. Rather than taking time off, if an injury is not serious, I will adjust the weight and range of motion. If I can't perform the exercise at all, I will try to find a replacement. When I had a broken arm, I did leg presses and squats with a modified bar.

For deadlifts, I might start with 135 and not worry about a proper lockout or even touching the ground between reps. At 185 and/or 225, I will increase the range of motion. As the weight goes up, I might TNG until my work sets.

Obviously, you should follow the advice of your doctor and not some internet commenter. If you decide to lift with an injury, my advice would be to find an orthopedist who was a college athlete and still lifts and follow his or her recommendations.

@htb33rod Also - I've done some variation of the split I listed for 10+ years. Think it just caught up with me?

I'm not asking to be smug, i absolutely don't want to re-injure myself.

Back