I missed noobie Tuesday or w/e it's called. Could someone help me understand this?

geldastriz

Did I just make a fool of myself? Are all cable weights the same across machines? I ask this because today I went to use the front left machine to do cable crunches, and I set it to 30 lbs and it was too light. And then I set it to 40, 50, 60, and then 70 and it was still too light. Either I had gotten suddenly super strong or something was wrong. I switched to machine on the left and it 30 lbs felt normal again.

So I went to tell some staff that something was up with the machine, and he came and said it's fine.

What gives?

@geldastriz In my gym, the cable machine has two different size cables -- on one side it is like a half-inch diameter ribbon and on the other side, it is a round 1/8" cable. The ribbon side is a lot harder than the cable side.

@geldastriz Wooo I work out at the same gym (go Utes!)!! Can confirm that those cable machines are nuts. I used them for cable tricep extensions last week and did 75# on one machine with no problem, then could barely move 35# on a different one this week.

From now on I'll try to use the same one, but if it's super crowded I'll probably just use whichever is open and use the weight that feels right for me. Or wait until the one where I can lift the most is open so I feel like Hulk. :)

@geldastriz Oh! My degree in mechanical engineering is finally useful! YES, cable weights are different across different machines. There are a number of different factors that play into the force needed to move the pin-loaded plates including the number and diameter of the pulleys, the material of the cable, and the angle of the cable (how you're pulling it) relative to the pulley. Some machines employ one pulley, others use two pulleys - generally, more pulleys between you and the weights = easier for you.

The moral of the story is, you're better off just doing free weights, where you know you can be consistent. Hanging leg raises, weighted planks, ab wheel rollouts, etc. are all good for abs.

@omoijiade But but the cable low row is my favorite exercise ever... Plus, Lat Pulldowns are becoming a new favorite. The cable machine at my gym doesn't seem to be too crazy variable (there are three sets of the same four stations, similar to this but with an additional set), maybe I'm just lucky.

@b429 That's fine! I agree that they're really fun, even if using free weights might allow you to be more consistent. I use the lat pulldown too because I like it, but I just keep it in mind going to a different gym that it might feel different. :)

@geldastriz Yeah there's definitely inconsistencies across cable machines, even within machines at the very same gym as I've noticed. I'm guessing part of it has to do with the amount of resistance on the cables themselves. If you're trying to keep track of your weight to track progress, just notice what it is at a certain machine, even if it's different at another. Not the most reliable but it is what it is.

Back