I think I have to start tracking again I’ve been snacking too much/eating too much junk and it’s taking a toll on me. 5’2” 27F 127lb

adriana28

Hi all, so I’ve been on my fitness journey for almost two years now. In my early to mid 20s I pretty consistently stayed at 120 pounds, maybe even a little less. I wasn’t exercising that much, just the occasional cardio, yoga, and maybe lifting weights. Probably only exercised 1-2 times a week. In April of 2022 I realized my exercise and eating habits went downhill. I was working a remote job for 12 hours every day and didn’t really go outside much or even exercise. I also was partying a lot so I was teetering 125-126 pounds. That’s when I was introduced to peloton and it nearly changed my relationship with exercising. I also started macro counting, unfortunately I used the wrong information and was eating around 1200 cals a day. After consistently tracking and going on the bike 3-4 times a week I got down to 122 pounds and thought I looked great, but realized 1200 calories is not enough. I upped my calories to 1500 and it was a lot better. I also was introduced to weightlifting. I was fluctuating 123-124 for a while and thought I looked the best at this weight. Fast forward to July 2023 I moved in with my boyfriend. I was really embarrassed of tracking my food and decided I needed a break so I stopped tracking. I stayed consistent in the gym and have been consistent since then. I weightlift 4 times a week and on the days I’m not lifting I usually do a 30 minute peloton ride and make sure to get in my steps every day. I consider myself very active and have lifted more than I have in my life. Due to my eating habits I started snacking more and noticed I’m not making as healthy choices. We do a meal prep service 3 days a week so I’m eating healthy then, and we cook dinner every once in a while but the snacking and sweets cravings have taken over. Unfortunately I’m now fluctuating 126-127.5 pounds and it kinda stinks because upper body wise (arms and back) I have amazing muscle growth, but that’s not the case for my belly area and upper thighs. I feel bloated a lot more too(I also have IBS which makes me bloat like crazy when I’m not eating great). I can see some muscle growth in my quads when I flex but I’m definitely a lot thicker than I used to be. I can tell my appetite has increased too and when my stomach rumbles I take that as a sign I need to eat right away.

I may be overreacting but it’s hard seeing 127 pounds when in college I was at my heaviest at 130, eating and drinking horribly. Maybe I’m not giving myself credit for being really active and I truly don’t eat horrible, it’s just a lot more than I feel like I used to eat. I also have and still prioritize protein, although I’m not tracking I’m probably hitting around 100g a day. I really would like to get back down to around 123 pounds because that’s where I feel most comfortable. My clothes are starting to also be pretty tight. Is my only option to start tracking again? My boyfriend is always supportive when it comes to exercise because he works out a lot too, he just really eats whatever he wants because he’s a guy lol. Just kinda lost here and would like some advice. I can tell I’m not in a good mindset with my body and would like to start 2024 on a good note. My family and friends think I look great and are so proud of my effort to stay active but I’m just feeling meh.

@adriana28 Just start tracking again! There’s nothing wrong with it. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. It just shows you care about what you’re putting into your body and at what quantity.

@sweetkf Yeah I figured it can’t hurt to at least try it out again and see how I feel. I already usually measure out some food like when I’m prepping oatmeal etc so he’s familiar with that

@adriana28 Why is he even a factor? Who cares what he’s familiar with? What do your eating habits/needs have to do with what he thinks? Does he check in with your input on his diet? I really think you should evaluate these thinking patterns because it sounds a bit unhealthy. You need to be able to prioritize yourself without shame or outside pressure if you want a life and relationship you are happy with. I say this all with love, because nobody should have to tiptoe around their partner to meet basic self care needs.

@johnc1953 I appreciate you saying this. My boyfriend is extremely supportive with everything I do, it’s moreso my anxiety of worrying what others think. I’ve just been so used to my whole life doing everything on my own terms, my own routine etc. he knows I’m very passionate about fitness so if I bring up to him that im going to start tracking again it’s fine. I really think it’s just me being anxious about nothing, which makes sense because I have anxiety disorder.

@adriana28 Aw. Well I hope you can get through it and be comfortable enough to break through it and make yourself a priority. Sometimes I find that just saying your anxieties out loud can help. “I wanted to let you know I’m going to start tracking my food to get a better handle on my physical health, and I’m feeling a bit self conscious about it.” Often by the time it’s out of my mouth I already feel better and it kinda gives you permission to just do it. And if your bf is as supportive as you describe, I’m sure he’ll put you at ease. Just do what you need to do!

@johnc1953 That’s a perfect way to say it. I’m cooking dinner tomorrow night so I’ll probably say that exactly. I’m already back on the tracking train, I pre tracked my breakfast and lunch for today and tomorrow. When I start cooking tomorrow I’m going to also track everything I put in the meal and weigh so I know exactly how much I’m putting into my body, that’s what I used to do at least. I’ve learned also pre tracking my meals makes me a lot less likely to snack. I appreciate how supportive everyone is on this sub.

@johnc1953 That’s a perfect way to say it. I’m cooking dinner tomorrow night so I’ll probably say that exactly. I’m already back on the tracking train, I pre tracked my breakfast and lunch for today and tomorrow. When I start cooking tomorrow I’m going to also track everything I put in the meal and weigh so I know exactly how much I’m putting into my body, that’s what I used to do at least. I’ve learned also pre tracking my meals makes me a lot less likely to snack.

@adriana28 If this is the right guy/relationship for you, you won’t have to worry about what he thinks. Your healthy choices are yours and any friend or partner will support that, no different than how we on this subReddit support you!

@bandarbo Thank you :) I explained this already in other comments but I’m cooking dinner tomorrow night for us and I’m going to weigh out my portions and explain to him that I’m going to start tracking again. I know he will be supportive

@adriana28 Have you considered that the 3lbs you have put on is perhaps muscle? I mean you said you continued being active lifting 4 times a week. Perhaps you are eating more as well because your body is using that extra calories to build muscle. If you are still progressively overloading, that is a possibility

@meteorstorm I think it may be a combination of both if that’s possible. I have a lot of upper body gains but lower body there’s muscle there, it’s just not popping as much as my upper body. I guess I won’t know for sure until I get a DEXA scan or something which I hear isn’t even totally accurate. But I have decided I’m going to go back to tracking and see how I feel.

@adriana28 I feel this. I moved in with my bf, got engaged and married and I gained 20-30 lbs. I would start tracking again. Luckily my husband also tracks, but I don’t think there’s anything to be embarrassed about. You can have a chat with your bf and let him know this is something you would like support on! It sounds like he would be supportive anyway. Unfortunately guys can eat whatever they want! Haha my husband’s deficit is 2000 😩😩😩

This being said, if you don’t want to track you don’t have to, but it sounds like that’s what you should and want to do! I would try it and see how it goes. At the very least, you can try to start using a food scale for better portions or less snacking. I was a huge snacker, but when I started tracking and meeting with a RD, I definitely have cut down.

@dmhanson511 Glad to know I’m not alone! 😅 it’s hard going from cooking every single one of your own meals to…not lol. 2,000 deficit is a short girls dream😂
But you’re totally right. When I made this post I think I was just thinking the extreme, that he’s going to find it odd that I’m tracking but he definitely understands that I’m trying to get back into taking more control of my nutrition. He’s amazing and would never think any less of me if I decide to change my eating habits a bit. I’m cooking tomorrow night for both of us and I plan on weighing everything out when I cook it so I know how much I’m putting into it. I also pre tracked my breakfast and lunch today so that’s a good start. I just don’t know what I’m doing for dinner yet lol

@adriana28 This is what I do! I always pre-track and basically eat the same breakfast and lunch and then rotate a couple dinners. I know (roughly) how many calories the dinners are too so I can stay within the calories! I’m sure he will be supportive! My husband is just happy that he doesn’t have to cook himself and it’s halfway healthy - he actually asks me how many calories the dinner is because he is too lazy to measure everything! Yes all these things are for your health and I’m sure he would want you to be happy and healthy!

Back