12 WEEK FITNESS CHALLENGE!!! *updated from previous with suggestions!!* GOOGLE FORM TRACKING! START: JAN 12

@saved071275 I have done a spreadsheet like this before Located here. At first I allowed everyone to just input information but trolls were deleting other peoples stuff so just beware this could happen.

I resolved it by using google forms to populate fields.

My guess is this sub will be pretty good with it though.

@felipe_ I was worried about this too... I thought I might as well give it a shot and see what happens. I can regularly back it up in case a troll deletes all the info.

Hey guys! Remember to keep your goals realistic; I see some people setting themselves up for failure by aiming for too large a weight loss goal. You want to make sure that your weight loss is sustainable and healthy!!

According to the National Institutes of Health, aiming to lose 1-2 pounds per week is the healthiest way to go. If one pound equals 3,500 calories, then divide that by seven (days in a week), which means cutting out 500 calories per day.

@shawntavia A 5:40 mile time is super, super impressive! I've been running for 2 years and have been super excited that recently I've managed low-8s :)

How many miles were you running per week pre-injury? Any other tips for running faster? I'd love to be able to do a mile sub-7:30 or even sub-7 (some day!)

@jeezus4life Awesome job! Low 8s is a good pace no matter what, and I log plenty of miles around that pace. I was ~60-65miles/week before the injury. I ramped it up because I was in training for a 3:10 marathon and I'd only been at ~55-60miles/week, which seemed pretty effortless, so I figured if I added in just a few more miles I could hit 3:05. Turns out my body breaks just past the 60mpw mark, which really isn't even crazy high mileage. =[

A 5:40 mile is what I foresee as a realistic "return-to-fitness goal" within 3 months' time (I know that any mile time that begins with a 5 seems ridiculously fast but I promise you, I know many women who make me look slow as molasses haha). I think it's really important for non-beginnes to view fitness as non-linear progression; it won't take me too long to get fast again even coming from not running at all, but I need to be cautious. If I go out and try to run the 5:20 I was hoping for this time of year, I'll fall apart and be out for another few months, despite the fact that physically I could probably still pull off a low 6/high 5. None of that matters if I hurt myself in the process.

You can probably still benefit from plain old consistency and volume. I mean hell, I've been competing for over a decade and I only raced my first half marathon this summer with like... 11 years of base mileage behind me. If 8:00 is your distance run pace, you could probably run a single low-7:00 pace single mile right now if you really wanted as long as you warmed up sufficiently. I log ~5-6 miles of running (shakeout, warmup, race, cooldown) on a day that I race the mile. Admittedly I need a lot more warmup than most people for shorter events, but still. If that alone doesn't bring you down into the low-7s, workouts such as 6-8x400m and ladders (200-200-400-800-400-200-200) done at ~85-90% effort (faster than tempo pace, not a 100% all-out running-to-the-death sprint) with jogging active recovery can do wonders. Just don't do them all the time. Once per week MAXIMUM at your current fitness level.

@shawntavia Awesome - thank you for the advice! I think consistency and volume are definitely still the keys for me, but I'm excited to have started adding in some speed work as well (one a week, no worries).

One more question - when you're doing 55-60 mpw, how do you break that down in terms of distance per day, etc.? I'm always curious how people who hit what (to me) seems like pretty high mileage break it down!

@jeezus4life I only did my long runs every 1.5-2 weeks because I've always found them to be quite hard on my body and I usually take a day off to swim every 2-3 weeks, but this is a pretty typical (marathon) training week. Obviously it looks a lot different when I'm training for the indoor 3000m.

MON: Easy 4-6

TUES: AM 2 miles warmup, 8x400m hills, jog back down for active recovery, 2 miles cooldown. PM heavy lifting session.

WED: 10-12 miles moderate pace. Through in some 30 second fartlek pickups if I feel up to it, no big deal if not.

THURS: AM 5-7 miles tempo. Usually ~6:15-6:35min/mile pace. Should be pretty grueling. PM lifting only if I feel up to it.

FRI: AM 2-3 super easy. Don't even bring a watch. PM 3-5. Also easy.

SAT: 7-9 miles moderate pace (high 6/low 7). Not quite tempo. Could hold a fairly shitty, gaspy conversation but would much rather not. This is often my "chase men" day because their conversational pace is my "I'd rather not be talking but I could if I had to" pace.

SUN: 15-18 mile long run.

It's important to remember that the concept of "deloading" applies in running, too. I might do a 55 mile week, a 60 mile week, followed by a 40 mile week because I eventually start getting exhausted and my body needs to recover. It takes 2-3 weeks before your body really even begins to lose any muscle anyway, so having an occasionally low mileage week is pretty good for you.