I thought I’m doing it right

@haydenbehm I just read you are at 50kg at 4'11. I'm no expert, but you are in the right bmi. Is calorie deficit really necessary?

If you have belly fat, the first thing I will consider is insulin resistance. Study this and check your lifestyle on what food intake do you think you need to reduce if not eliminate.

Then I also suggest to read about achieving v-shape body. This include working on your upper body ie back and shoulder to tone and be able to have a balanced physique. It will harder for you in the future to do heavier romanian deadlifts if your back struggles to get into shape.

I actually took the route before of doing full body exercises and glute and legs. I do 120 kgs glute bridges and 140 kgs leg press. Your legs need to support the glutes so consider working on legs too. Have a leg day, upper body (you can split to shoulder/bicep/tricep and back) and glute focused day. Goodluck!

PS you will gain weight as you increase your muscle mass

@haydenbehm Short girlie here too! For us na shorties, mas maliit talaga calorie allowance natin even for maintenance. If you don't have a lot of fat to lose (which I assume you don't as you weigh 50kg), even a little deficit would suffice na as long as you're hitting your macros (esp protein) and working out hard. Lalo na you're a beginner, newbie gains will play a big role and will make recomp possible.

You can broaden your calorie range to 1400-1600 kasi even if you hit 1600, you're still at a deficit, thus there will still be eventual fatloss.

As for losing fat + growing glutes, since you're in a deficit you'll definitely lose fat. With building glutes, since you're new to lifting, may gains pa rin naman, but maybe not as drastic as you'd want.

Share ko lang din, i'm fairly new to lifting (less than a year) and still eating at a deficit since October 2023. Body recomp is definitely taking place for me, down 10kg but still building muscles (not as fast as I hoped for, but understandable since nakadeficit pa rin ako). I train glutes din and it has become firmer and stronger. So that's something.

You can choose the recomp route. Or focus on the fatloss (deficit) first and while doing so perfecting your form in your workouts, para when you transition to your building phase na (slight surplus), you can easily go harder and the glute gains will follow.

Also, if your only problem area is your belly, dialing in on your nutrition can help a lot (provided you don't have insulin resistance, pcos, other hormonal or even thyroid issues, etc). Check your sleep and stress levels din, since these can also be a factor for storing more fat in the mid-section or even bloating.