Ideas For Training Back Lever Reverse Hyper?

raykay

Hey all,

I've decided for my next masochistic calisthenics goal, I'd like to master the back lever reverse hyperextension, demonstrated in this link:
Based on the challenging leverage, plus the combination of isometric and dynamic work, I suspect it may be the hardest pure bodyweight exercise to train the spinal erectors.

I've already begun training for this movement, so far I have only ever seen this exercise once, in the video link I have posted above. Does anyone on the subreddit have any experience with progressing towards this advanced variation? From the workout I've already done, I can tell this is going to be substantially harder than a standard reverse hyper, but I have very little reference point for possible progressions, other than (maybe) this:

Tl:dr looking for advice/resources related to meeting the specific challenges of a back-lever reverse hyperextension.

@raykay
I've decided for my next masochistic calisthenics goal, I'd like to master the back lever reverse hyperextension, demonstrated in this link:
Based on the challenging leverage, plus the combination of isometric and dynamic work, I suspect it may be the hardest pure bodyweight exercise to train the spinal erectors.

It's not that hard strength-wise. If you can do a german hang pullout you have enough strength for it. Control wise it's similar to the hip control you'd need in straight arm press handstand, so you can have the strength but you still need to develop the control. I wouldn't say it's insanely taxing on the spinal erectors more than a standard reverse hyper.. just the tension from BL might make it somewhat more.

Most people who can do back lever and have very inflexible shoulders where they can't go down much further into german hang will most likely be able to do it very easily since their upper body positioning is already in the right place with the inflexibility.

If you can straight arm press handstand and have a full back lever and are working toward BL pullout or GH pullout then you can probably have someone spot your torso and you can start trying to control the movement. Or have a block that you use to put your torso on under the rings and work on starting to control the low back to do the reverse hyper motion

@raykay This probably isn't actually a very difficult leg exercise. It's more of an upper body one. If you can do a Back Lever, this will be fairly easy to do. I'd probably suggest skipping it, gaining the Back Lever, and then getting this one for free.

Back