I'm trying to differentiate deadlifts better, could someone help me?

shinesun

So I'm trying to differentiate between "regular" deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, and squats, all using a kettlebell. I've watched a number of videos, but the differences don't seem all that different. It almost looks like three of these are just variants on each other.

This is what I'm talking about for a romanian deadlift. Yes? No real bend in the legs, back essentially staying straight as you bend at the hips. This one seems the easiest for me to differentiate.

I found this version of a deadlift, which kind of looks more like what I think a true deadlift might be. Not only hinging at the hips while keeping the back straight (but not upright), but also squatting some until the kettlebell reaches the floor.

I also found this version of a 'regular' deadlift, but it almost looks more like a squat to me. Feet angled outwards, chest/back kept vertical. Squat, yes?

Now this one is actually labeled as a squat, but looks the same to me as the previous deadlift. Both squats?

And then the only real difference I see in a sumo deadlift is that the feet are further apart and definitely angled.

If I've got this straight, please let me know. Or if there are better videos out there that I could watch, I'd appreciate it too.

@shinesun First two links look pretty solid for RDL and DL, third and fourth: definitely too squatty IMO. The sumo deadlift, I'm less sure about. Seems to me that the stance should be wider, though.

As far as KB squats go, I've always seen them programmed as goblet squats or holding the kettlebell behind the head, rather than having the arms extended at all. The exception being sumo squats, elevated on a plyo box or what have you. (Sorry for the shitty drawing, I had to use a netbook trackpad.)

@shinesun This can be argued a bunch. But IMHO, the first two links are RDL's, The 3rd link is an actual dead lift, the one labeled as a squat is actually a deadlift, and the sumo deadlift the legs are not wide enough.

Deadlift basically means lifting a "dead" (not moving) weight off of the floor. To do this you want to squat down, keep your back straight and drive with the legs and hips to pick the weight off of the floor.