Improving my rowing

rushamania

(Context: 61 y/o male, 162 pounds, 5'7")

I can row 500 m and stay focused and keep the pace in the range of 2:05-2:15.

I can go to 1000m and perform in a pretty similar range (say 2:10-2:20).

But when we do these assessments that involve rowing for 15 or 20 minutes, I just fall apart. (Struggling to keep it under 2:40-2:50, for example.). I can't seem to concentrate hard enough to stay focused on using my posterior chain, and wind up rowing slowly with my upper back. Some of this I attribute to just getting "workout brain" when I tire out.

I'm new to rowing and don't do it that often. What's the best way for me to improve?

@rushamania Given your specific mention about losing form and focus as you tire, it might be worth exploring a few aspects:

Pacing: Sometimes, starting a tad slower than your 500m/1000m pace in the longer sessions can help maintain energy and form throughout the entirety.

Technique Refinement: If you find yourself shifting to use your upper back during longer sessions, perhaps some technique drills might be beneficial, ensuring muscle memory and reducing the mental load of maintaining form.

Endurance Training: Gradually extending your 'comfortable' rowing distance in training sessions, even at a slower pace, might help boost your endurance and keep you strong in those 15-20 minute assessments.

Mental Focus: Could breaking down the 15/20-minute row into smaller segments mentally, and taking it ‘500m at a time’ be a helpful strategy?

Consistent Practice: The more you row, the more you'll get to know your rhythm, strengths, and areas to work on, which will inherently improve your stamina and technique.

Recovery: Ensure you're adequately fuelling and recovering post-row to optimize subsequent sessions.

Incorporate a blend of short, high-intensity rows and longer, slower rows into your routine to build both your anaerobic and aerobic systems. And, perhaps work with a coach, even just for a session or two, to get some specific, tailored advice.

It sounds like you're doing some pretty great stuff already, and with a bit more time and practice, i'm sure those 15-20 min assessments will become a bit more friendly! 😉

@srutz That’s a cop out. Read up on what the dampener does and how it affects an individual. OP-you need to find a program (Dark Horse is great-also check out r/rowing). You need to find your drag factor, and it differs from machine to machine. Depending on the wod and what other movements you have-you’ll want to pace differently. You’re 500m times-is that an 80%+ effort? Or more? Finally. You’re doing awesome. Something’s won’t equate-we can run a 7.5min mile, but our 5k time is close to 30. You still did the work. Be proud of all of this.

@rushamania 57 here, I know the struggle! Slower more deliberate pulls to the chest, waiting a beat before letting up the slack, using as much leg drive as possible. Reach as far forward as you can but avoid letting your shins get beyond vertical at the beginning / end of the pull… focus on 2:00 pace for 2000m at first, then move for a faster pace after that. Slow and steady, good luck

Back