Increased my sleep from 0-6 to 6-8 hours and it did not make any difference at the gym

@distracted1 Ppl come to Reddit instead of reading a lot of things and taking the time to understand and learn about the body, in this point instance sleep particularly. If people actually read a few research articles from pubmed they’ll answer most of their own questions. It baffles me that people DONT put in the time and effort to learn about the body and how it moves, how muscles are related to each other and tie that together with different exercise. Most form related issues would be solved and “what exercise goes to what muscle” would be solved if they had a simple understanding of their own human body and how it works.

@dearlyloved Though you said you aren't looking for advice, I can't help but suggest there's a chance you are a 'short sleeper,' one of very few people with this genetic mutation. I only bring it up because like you I was always stressed that I could never sleep more than 6 hours, and rarely did I even get that much, even when I would take otc sleep aids. I was so worried it was keeping me from recovering properly and preventing me from greater gains.

I am glad I happened into a study at UCLA on this gene mutation and discovered there was nothing wrong with me that needed fixing, it was actually a sort of superpower. I was so close to also getting onto prescription meds but now I rest easy knowing that whatever short amount I do sleep, it's fine.

(This is assuming you don't feel tired from not sleeping or worn out. Though the study I was in focused on just sleep patterns I wonder what they might learn if they also looked at heavy lifters/bodybuilders and how it more specifically affects us. Personally I almost never get sore and I have a hard time ever accepting 'rest days.')

@dearlyloved You’ve been working out for over 5 years and you’ve had better sleep for 4 months and you were expecting better gains/progress. Surely you’re quite close to your natural genetic limit now. If you’ve been doing everything right adding muscle and strength will be a lot slower now so 4 months of adding extra sleep is not going to make a massive difference. Were you expecting newb gains again or something?

@dearlyloved First of all, more sleep is working because “mentally you feel better.” Secondly, you are absolutely frying your nervous system with each workout. You need to reduce volume, focus on recovery, and take deload weeks.

@dearlyloved Yeah, i don't believe 'the sleep is the best steroid' bullshit. If you eat well, have a solid program for your goals and have the genetics (trifecta) sure quality sleep could benefit but don't forget that sleeping is primarily for recovery and rest, it doesn't add special stuff to your body that makes your growth exponential. Seeing as you had sleeping problems most of your life, i'm glad the meds helped you with quality sleep.

@dearlyloved People are extremely dogmatic about the importance of sleep to hypertrophy gains. I think because they love and value sleep and therefore want to believe that it is necessary for them to get a good amount of sleep.

Sleep is very important to me and I try to get enough and generally do. But I've never noticed that it affects performance in the gym.

@dearlyloved Your post is kinda confusing, you seem to be implying that sleeping better didn't help you progress at the gym, yet you also say in your original post that you have always added reps to each workout, which sounds like you are progressing in strength. Do you expect to progress faster because you are sleeping more?

@amandabroken
I am writing this because I have seen multiple people here saying how sleep is the best steroid and how 2 additional hours could make a huge difference, well, not for me.

I think it's pretty clear.

Everyone says sleep is super important, but he didn't notice any difference from going to terrible sleep to very good sleep.