Is 1 set x 80 reps bodyweight squat too much ?

helexzy

Hi, I am 36/M and I have been following Kboges' daily program for about 1 year already. And yesterday while I was working out, I did a 1 set X 80 reps body weight squat as finisher. Usually I do 1 set 60 max but this time I wanted to go for extra mile.

But after the workout (I did it around 4pm) even though I didn't feel necessarily a muscle soreness;I have been extremely fatigue, I couldn't move from the couch, it' has lasted until this morning.

So what are your opinions about high reps body weight squats ?

Thanks!.

@helexzy I don't think it should fatigue you that much if you only did 20 more than normal. I'd suspect other factors. The only time I felt significant fatigue was when I hadn't allowed enough recovery time from previous sessions.

@helexzy Next time do 100. Or next time do the 60, 80, 100 for time. Or do whatever number but do them as slow as possible with full range of motion, or focus on negatives then explode up.
You could do multiple sets of 60, 80, 100. It’ll be ok, just work to it and through it. Endurance build.

@helexzy Not perse, good for conditioning.

Havent been to the gym for a few months die to work. Went recently, dit 4 x 15 weighted squat junps. Thought i was ok but after the last set it took me approx 20 min to recover, did dumbbel bench press after but was nauseus and super tired.

Yes it might be tiring, but to me it just means my conditioning is shit. I can do low intensity long duration perfectly fine or i can do heavy weight for a few reps but high volume medium intensity or high intensity has and will continue to be my weak part so i got to work on that.

@helexzy If you're familiar with the motion and aren't using bad technique, you should be able to keep up for very high reps. Some Indian wresters used to do a thousand 'bethaks' or more in a day. A big jump (like from 60 to 80) may leave you feeling a bit depleted, but just try progressing in more modest jumps.

@helexzy I do high rep bodyweight workouts. Unfortunately I can't do pistols currently because I'm taking it easy on my knee, but ill do 700-800 reps in a leg workout...

My first three sets are 100 reps. First set I can get 100, nice slow and controlled. On the second and third set I have to do cluster sets....I'm usually able to get 60 reps, then take a few breaks to get the other 40 reps

After those three sets of 100, I do 7 sets of 50. By my 4th or 5th set I can barely get 30 on the first go.

Then I do 2 sets at the end of wall sits...

Been doing this for over a year since I've been resting my knee. My legs are definitely defined and muscular but they are not big.

Also, I'm always sore in my legs the next day. I wouldn't say I'm fatigued.

@helexzy High rep bodyweight squats are great, lots of benefits, if one is willing to really spend the time and pain threshold to do potentially hundreds of them

80 was probably too much for you right now. Get plenty of food, general movement, and sleep. Then try it again, and see if it had the same effect.

I doubt it, especially if you've been recovering well

@helexzy I prefer high rep body weight or weighted squats for two reasons:
  1. Less chance of injury. With no/low weight, the likelihood of losing balance or dropping the weight due to failure is far reduced.
  2. Added cardiovascular workout. With proper form and cadence, your heart rate should be elevated by at least half way through the set.
I personally start with 100 squats (narrow stance, deep squat) with low weight. I then move to 3 sets of 15 reps with higher weight. Each week, I add an extra rep or a little weight, and I have always experienced quad soreness the day following the workout.

@helexzy I have actually done both, with similar results. What you will find is that eventually, the 100 squats will become easy, at which time you’ll want to add weight/reps.

Either way, I am a big advocate for incorporating 100 consecutive squats to your workout. I get a great quad pump just from my initial “warm up” and then finish them off with the 3x15.

@helexzy I have actually done both, with similar results. What you will find is that eventually, the 100 squats will become easy, at which time you’ll want to add weight/reps.

Either way, I am a big advocate for incorporating 100 consecutive squats to your workout. I get a great quad pump just from my initial “warm up” and then finish them off with the 3x15.

@jaderain23 Kboges has this daily training routine which supports the idea of:
- train daily,
- close to failure X 1 or 2 or 3 sets ( depends on your stamina),
- only compound movements ( Pull-up, pushup, squat),
- treat daily training like physical hygiene, like brushing your teeth daily.

When he says close to failure, for squat it can be really a lot of sets:D I mean I do either 1 leg shrimp/pistol squats or full range motion sumo squats. And I did 80 last time and it killed me.

Btw here is about his daily routine video if you are interested;

@helexzy Depends on your goal. If you want to get stronger or bigger (or both), doing 80 squats in one set is not the way to go. Maybe you're trying to gain some endurance, but frankly I don't see the point. That's time better spent running or cycling.

@helexzy It would kill me too, for sure! I did not say that it is easy. The problem with so many reps is that it does not train the muscle for strength or hypertrophie, which, in my opinion, should be the goal for this kind of training. Not that you gain zero strength or muscle from it, it is just very suboptimal for that.

There is nothing bad about doing it but you have to know why you train like that. If your goal is to increase your muscle endurance and stamina you doing the right thing. If you want to build strength, grow muscle or improve your skill in those movements it is the wrong kind of training.