With progressive overload, do you guys increase the reps on your last set or your first set?

@alexander5106954665 I use the same weight for all my working sets and have a rep goal for the 3 sets combined. When I hit that goal in 2 consecutive sessions I add weight the next session. Very simple and self regulating. No need to make it more complicated than this.

@alexander5106954665 Many paths to Rome.
  • You can do straight sets without changing weight across sets, or you can change them. If you don't change the weight, the reps will drop but the difference for muscle gain will be negligible (theoretically dropping weight set-to-set will be marginally superior as long as the load remains ~30% 1RM or higher).
  • You can progress after hitting a certain amount of reps on the first set. This is the most common strategy.
  • You can progress after hitting a certain number of reps on the 3rd set (or other number of sets >1). This may be more effective with lower rep counts (e.g. 6-8 reps vs. 15-20), as it's theorized (suspected, but not demonstrated) that the higher your reps, the closer to failure you have to take your sets for the same growth. This strategy may reduce the number of deloads required, as the farther you progress before triggering the weight change, the farther from failure your first 2 sets will be.

@alexander5106954665 since i train to failure on p much everything, i prefer progressive overload w/ the weight (1 set to failure, 2nd + 3rd set to failure, ideally more weight, but aim for 6-8 minimum) the increase of weight between sets also shouldnt be crazy (anywhere from like 5-15 lbs depending on exercise)

@rclouviere I've seen a couple of people talk about increasing the weight on sets 2 and 3 and it doesn't make sense to me. If you're going to failure on your first day your second set will typically take a hit in performance and you'll 1-2 reps. If you're upping the weights you'll also take a hit in performance so that's losing another 1-2 reps. Ultimately rep numbers aren't everything and adequate intensity can still drive gains but it seems odd to switch up your rep range so much from one set to the next. I've heard up working up a heavy top set like a heavy single and going for higher reps with less weight for successive sets but it seems odd to increase weight and effectively decrease reps.

@alexander5106954665 I have a rep range for each set. I will increase the weight on a set by set basis. When I reach the top of the goal rep range for any given set, I will add weight to that set for the next session.

For example
Set 1: 5-8 reps
Set 2: 5-8 reps
Set 3: 8-10 reps

When set 1 reaches 8 reps, I will increase the weight for the next session. If set 1 hits 7 reps, and set 2 hits 8 reps, I will only increase the weight for set 2 next session.

Ideally you want to push for the first set to progress because your first set is likely the most stimulating for the workout since you start to accumulate fatigue after it and fatigue reduces stimulus with each subsequent set. If you happen to progress on the other sets, that’s awesome.

@alexander5106954665 All sets. Typically I see it on the first, but fairly often on all. However, if there are a lot of sets, more variables are introduced that can get in the way of progressive overload or make it hard to track. Too much fatigue, not enough rest between sets, mentally psyching yourself up for failure on a bunch of sets.. it’s just a lot. I found 2 hard sets for each exercise is perfect for me.. only tracking 2 sets is simple, and if both are to failure then most additional sets would be kind of junk volume anyway.