Is 10 sets a chest to failure a week sufficient?

@ziia89 Or maybe what you think is failure for you isn't actual muscular failure. Pushing yourself and pushing until the muscle fails are two different things

@garwo123 Yes, he's talking about proper high intensity training here. A proper high intensity session of 50-60 minutes pushing past technical and into actual failure every set should nuke you both mentally and physically unless you're juiced to the gills. Most people on here or in gyms in general are not going as close to failure as they think.

@ziia89 My lack of muscular endurance? In the entire 14 years I've been lifting not once have I seen someone push to genuine failure and have a similar number on their next set. Not. One. Single. Time. A genuine maximum effort set will burn all your other sets to the ground. If you truly believe you can hit a true 10RM and then get 7 or 8 reps on the next set you're living in fairytale land

@garwo123 I’m uninterested with your years training

The fact you’ve spent 14 years training and haven’t met anyone with any genuine muscular endurance is fine

I’m happy to exchange training videos with you

Furthermore - I’ll record a video of me doing exactly what you say can’t be done if you need

Let me know

Edit: sorry for the Deep dive. I’m unsure why someone 14 years into training would ask for their Late Beginner/Intermediate routine to be rated on Reddit?

@ziia89 Stop crying about this shit dude. You sound look like a sensitive asshole. Some people have different amounts of muscular endurance, is that so fucking hard to comprehend?

@kalwa Only if you're pushing to genuine muscular failure. Like when the weight nearly drops on you and you need to catch your breath afterwards when you did a 8 second grinding rep at the end of your set. It'll feel like you need a 5 minute rest and even then the weight feels like it multiplied from last time when you unrack it. If you're only pushing until voluntary failure then my advice doesn't apply

@kalwa There are 3 ways the word failure is used in the fitness industry. Voluntary failure, technical failure, and mechanical/muscular failure. Voluntary failure is when you stop once the set starts to get hard. Technical failure is when you stop because form starts to break down. Mechanical/muscular failure is when you completely exhaust the muscle to the point where you couldn't do another rep to literally save your life if that's what it took. Whenever you see studies or discussions about failure you should keep those distinctions in mind or else it starts to look hazy and something like "40 sets to failure a week is better than 25" starts to look like insanity and a one way trip to the hospital

@kalwa A lot of people do. Its why you see so many people who've gotten 4 months of results in 2 years of lifting. Most people don't train hard enough. 10 sets should be good in your case though

@kalwa Without astraying from your question. Yes it is sufficient. Anybody says otherwise doesn’t do 💩 and shouldn’t even give advice

@kalwa Feels like 2 different topics. First is, 10 sets. Is that sufficient?

And, 10 sets to failure? That’s like an entire books worth of discussion. I don’t think you find that many people advocating pushing to failure at that frequency.