Is 10 sets a chest to failure a week sufficient?

@kalwa Can't lie I feel like 14 sets of chest a week is more or less perfect

If you're stalling on several lifts, maybe increase your calories, especially if you're not gaining weight

If it's just your chest stalling then try changing:
  • The exercises you're doing for chest, even if it's just changing the grip you use, or the equipment you're using (DB flyes to cable flyes)
  • Rep ranges
  • Exercise order
  • Increasing or decreasing weekly sets if the above things didn't work

@kalwa Why limit yourself to only 14 sets. Do more variations, more exercises, more reps, more food. If you cannot do more reps, lower the weight and do more. Do reps until you cannot move anymore. Do reps until the sun goes down then goes back up again, then do more reps. Then add a few more.

@jan2020 It’s mainly my dumbbell press that’s not processing anymore. I have a previous post asking about it. Thinking of changing the rep range to 4-8 instead of 6-10

@kalwa I’ll pick a weight that I can do atleast 5 reps. Try to move it up until I get stuck, and then move the weight down just a bit and then push for 10-12. You’ll be able to eek out the reps better on the lighter weight, but without trying for the heavier weight you’ll never complete your strength progression, imo.

@kalwa Do 5-8 with heavier weight. The chest requires a lot of intensity and heavier weight to grow. I’d start with 8 reps at 2-3 RIR and go to 5 at 1-2 RIR during the last weeks of the block. Start with 3 sets and go to 4 towards peak week.

@kalwa Chest responds well to 10-15ish reps per set. I’d recommend aiming for 12 reps per set. Renaissance periodization has phenomenal videos about this on YT. Gl man. We will all get big pecs one day

Back