Is it healthy to burn 1,300-1,500 calories by working out 5-7 days a week?

alexalex1

I know the number is high but I’ve been dieting and working out for sometime and lost 80lbs. Gradually, I’ve been able to burn 1,300 calories on many days and hope to to burn the same number for at least 5 days a week. Is it “physically” healthy to maintain that? I hear and read that burning a lot of calories will lead the body to burn muscles instead of fat. Thanks for any advice in advance!

@alexalex1 Not necessarily unhealthy. If you enjoy your workouts and you are seeing progress, then continue doing it. As far as I know; cardio does not kill gains Just adjust your deficit to your new maintenance so you don't lose weight to fast (about 0.5-1% a week), and ensure you get enough protein.

To maximize muscle growth, set your protein target each day for whichever of the below is greater:
- 160 grams per day
- 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight, per day
This will ensure ymaintain as much muscle as possible during your weightloss (source).

@alexalex1 I've been working out 7 days a week and burned around 1.500 kcal a day on average for more than a year now.

I don't see any problems so far :D

@alexalex1 There shouldn't be any issues with that as long as you are gaining or maintaining muscle mass. Make sure that you are taking in a large amount of protein, athletes and heavy lifters need an exceptional amount of protein to counteract the extreme muscle use. That in mind, as long as you have a consistent and healthy source of energy going through your body, it will not resort to the survival mode of burning the muscle.

Back