Is this a good/optimal PPL workout split

billybob

I’m 16M 82KG body fat 15-25%(to fat to see all abs just upper abs)
been training for 7 months

Have a minor case of pectus excavations in chest

My aim is mainly hypertrophy with a little strength improvement as well

I have included weight because I’m a little worried about any major muscle strength imbalances

This is following a previous post i made a few days ago and am trying to improve on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/naturalbodybuilding/s/8InE4RpTT9

3x10-12 on everything

Push+grip/forearms+cardio

-Seated machine chest press 65kg -50kg

-cable tricep extensions rope attachment 20kg

-seated machine shoulder press 35kg

-forearm dumbbell curl XkG

-20 mins row or treadmill incline

Pull+lower back

-alt dumbbell curl 18kg or ez bar curl 40kg

-vertical traction machine 85kg

-seated machine row 65kg

-standing face pull rope attachment Xkg

-deadlift 1x5 150-60kg

Legs+abs

-Seated press 195kg

-seated calf press 160kg

-leg curl 95kg

-leg extension 95kg

-total abdominal 75kg

@billybob I'd do Chest and Shoulder's before Triceps on Push. Do the 2 big Back movements before Biceps on Pull. Otherwise the arm fatigue will limit you massively. It won't be as much of an issue the other way around.

Do Deadlifts on Leg Day, if you must do them. And if going for hypertrophy I'd swap it to a Romanian Deadlift unless you plan to compete in power lifting in the future. It's really not doing much where it is at the end of your pull day here.

Rest is fine and should get you results. As you progress further I'd look at some other routines and try to add more variation. Such as
  • An incline Press and a Flat Press on your Push day so your upper pecs don't lag behind. 2 sets of each instead of 3 sets.
  • Add a side lateral raise, they are currently neglected.

@helen2002 Thanks I haven’t included bench because I normally do a inclined smith bench and haven’t ever done non smith but I have recently moved gyms and they don’t have a smith bench and I’m a bit hesitant about doing a non smith because I haven’t been doing the stability muscles so I can’t do the correct technique I would like to in the future but I don’t really know how to start

@billybob
  • Push day is decent, add some lateral raises
  • Put deadlift at the beginning of the pull day and biceps at the end. Add a lat pull open or pull ups to this day.
  • Legs look decent, I would add RDL’s here.

@billybob I’d add a tricep compound to push day and remove the forearm work if you are hitting back the next day. Also not sure if you’ve listed these in the order you plan on doing them but I would never start a back day with biceps.

What will actually determine whether this works however is proximity to failure and progressive overload.