Weight: 114 lbs
Goal: gain weight and build muscle

I need to start following a specific plan and was wondering if this is good:

Monday:
(Quads and Glutes)
  • Back Squat (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Hip Thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Romanian Deadlift (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Bulgarian split squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Goblet Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Leg Extensions (3 x 10-12 reps)
Tuesday:
(Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps)
  • Machine chest press (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Machine chest press (3 x 12 reps)
  • Lateral raises (3 x 10 reps)
  • Overhead barbell press (4 x 10 reps)
  • Cable tricep extension (3 x 8-10 reps)
  • Overhead extension cable (3 x 8 reps)
Wednesday:
(Glutes)
  • Deadlifts (3 x 5-8 reps)
  • Hip thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Cable Step-ups (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Bulgarian Split Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
Thursday:
(Back and Biceps)
  • Lat pulldown (4 x 8-10 reps)
  • Barbell rows (4 x 10-12 reps)
  • Straight arm pull downs (4 x 10 reps)
  • Bicep curls (4 x 10 reps)
  • Single arm cable curls (3 x 8-10 reps)
Friday:
(Quads and Glutes)
  • Back Squat (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Hip Thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Bulgarian split squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Goblet Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Leg Extensions (3 x 10-12 reps)
What do you guys think about this workout plan? Is it good/bad? Should I add or remove anything? Should I do these exercises in that order?

Sorry if the formatting is weird. I typed this out on my phone.

@droxy You will see gains following that plan. As you wrote it, I gather you prefer doing all those exercises and focus on lower body / glutes? If so that would probably be your best routine as it aligns with your life style which increases the chance of sticking to it long term. No point changing it but rather tweak it.

My only critique would be why do you prefer Machine chest press over a traditional bench press? Missing out on the free range of motion, stabilization of arms, shoulders, and core plus it's standardized as in they are everywhere and a good challenge to progress.

And I could be mistaken but I don't see any Calf exercises either? If you can finish off with them on a calf raise machine seated or standing.

Looks like a solid workout for a female looking to build that lower body strength and look. How have you found it so far?

You can always look at a Push Pull Legs , Lower/Upper body splits but this looks solid providing you stick to it.

@davidccamp Thank you for the reply! Right now I don’t have access to the gym, but I do have a home gym machine, so I’m trying to choose exercises that I’m able to do at home with the equipment I have. I have posted this on other subreddits and was told it’s way too much volume. How do you think I should change/tweak it?

@droxy Yeah first thing I noticed was damn that’s a lot. I would consider getting rid of Wednesday which is just glutes, if you had to miss a class it would be that one however you have one of my favourite lifts on it which is the Deadlift! I would get rid of Wednesday glutes and instead do Thursdays session instead on Wednesday but start with Deadlifts then do back and biceps.

If you can do the above then go for it

If you want to go 5 days don’t underestimate stretching whether it be static or dynamic and maybe adding functional or cardio training. I find myself having the best stretch sessions when I have a dedicated day for it then I usually do abs.

@davidccamp That looks good, but what if my goal is to build my glutes and quads? Shouldn’t I do a day focusing on glutes? (Train quads 2x a week and glutes 3x a week)?

@droxy You’re doing both twice if you eliminate Wedneaday. Don’t forget compound movement like Deadlifts also activate the glutes. I’ve never really had a day focused on glutes it’s usually done as apart of legs however most programs Ive done myself is male focused so maybe it’s different , lol.

But I would confidently say you would still get good growth even if you got rid of Wednesday for glutes. If you can do it then go for it. I think having a home gym helps in this space. As long as you’re eating right and resting it should be fine.

Edit—— Had a little dive into a Rabbit hole for glutes. Usually 2-3 times per week. I still think that’s a little too much and you may burn yourself out but hey if you can do it why not.

@davidccamp Yeah there’s a lot of debate on this. I’ve heard some people say 2x is enough and some say 3x a week is better. Honestly I’m just overthinking. I’m doing to train them 3x a week and if I don’t see good results then I’ll train them 2x a week. What about deloading? Is that important or is it only necessary if you feel tired?

@droxy My coach use to do it once month or every 6 weeks however with my home gym I just do it by feel and to be honest I can’t remember the last time I had a de load lol. I think for us hobbyists looking to keep fit and gain muscle etc it’s not important compared to sleep and eating correctly. Don’t stress about it.

Back