Is this overkill?

@azfara Does it matter what we think?
People gotta stop with this caca.
Like dude just fucking train
Correct nutrition.
If your sore next time it comes to that muscle group again then you still need to heal.
Start connecting with your body.
The cleaner you eat the more you’ll be able to feel you.
The shittier you eat the less connected with self.
Your gonna have one dude say that’s too much.
And in all reality it doesn’t matter whatever you wana do is for you do it, you live once here I’m guessing and just give it your all.

@notsure17 It feels good, I used to be sore when I started out but now I've accustomed to it and it's fine, since I'm going this hard I made sure everything else is perfect, I get at least 2.2grams of protein each day, lots of water, superfoods like spinach, kale, vitamins, etc. Sleeping for at least 8-10 hrs and not overloading the muscles except the workout.

Since I'm a beginner, I've lost a good amount of body fat% and also gained muscle but perhaps I could've done it with less volume and 'trash' volume.

It seems the majority here agrees it's way too much volume nonetheless and that I should stick to 1-2 exercises and no more than 20 sets per muscle group per week.

@azfara Honestly, if you feel good and KEY point here... are progressing in weight and or sets/reps, getting stronger every few workouts or so, don't have any aches or pains, don't stress out. Nobody really knows what "optimal" is for you. If what your doing is giving you results stick with it.

@azfara As an advanced lifter of 15+ years, you should never have more then 6 exercises per workout. Too many beginning want to do insane volume but are not training hard at all. Trying hard is infinitely more important then doing a lot of exercises and sets. You basically just made a workout plan of every exercise you can think of in the same workout.

@mm1992 Yeah I was honestly under the false impression that more volume = more gains, after a bit of research I can see I was hella wrong about it.

I ended up cutting my upper day to just incline DB press (or bench), cable fly, lat pull down (or pushup), bent row (or with a machine), DB OHP (or military), DB curl, tricep extensions, and facepulls, sometimes even a DB side raise if I'm feeling energetic. I strive to get to failure on all sets, toned the volume down and try to slowly progress.

My lower workout stayed the same, maybe a bit less sets depending on how I feel.

@azfara I think that’s a great idea. One other suggestion is to do more machine work as it doesn’t require as much stability or set up. You can usually push closer to failure on a machine compared to free weights and make sure the muscle is the limiting factor. Like a chest press machine, seated shoulder press machine, chest supported row machine, hack squat machine. It’s good to have a mix of free weights/cables/ machines. Like one day do DB Incline the other day flat chest press. One day BB Squat the other day Hack Squat.

@mm1992 Yeah I heard free weights can build more core stability but they have their downsides.

Unfortunately my gym is kinda lacking in terms of machines, but the ones that are available I'll make sure to use, thanks for the advice !

Back