Is this realistic for a 15 year old who doesn’t work out

jeremyumc

I’ve Been given a workout routine and it seems really high intensity seeing as I rarely work out the routine is listed below

Monday- 25 push ups, 25 sit ups, 12x2 30 metre jog

Tuesday- 30 push ups, 30 sit ups, 30 squats

Thursday- jog for 15 minutes

@jeremyumc You might have to work your way up to it, but you can take your time doing those push ups. For example, do it as 5 sets of 5 and rest in between. Same thing for the other exercises, break it up into sets and rest in between

@jeremyumc This actually seems pretty low intensity. If you're gonna do a full-body split like this you should at least do 3 days of these calisthenics movements (spread out with a day's rest in between). I'd also go for 4-5 sets to failure rather than a fixed number of reps, resting roughly 2 minutes between sets. I'd also add some sort of pulling movement because the current program leaves your back completely untrained.

So what you could do is something like this:

Mon, Wed, Fri - pushups 5 sets fo failure, pullups 5 sets to failure, squats 5 sets to failure

Keep track of your reps per each set of an exercise on each day and progress by trying to do more reps each week than you did the last week.

If you want to incorporate cardio, ideally do that as a separate workout in the mornings and the calisthenics in the evening. But, if you have to combine them, do the cardio first to have the least interferance with your muscle recovery and growth from the other exercises (several studies back this up).

If you have any other questions let me know. I've been working out consistently for about 3 years now but I've made more progress naturally than many guys make in double that time because I've done ridiculous amounts of research to know how to optimize my training.