It will happen, give it time! Noob bodybuilder here. :P

mattw

Update: 26th Feb 2024

I am able to do 4 sets of 10 pushups now. Takes some effort at the end but still grinding. 3-4 sets of 7.5 kg dumbbells. I feel stronger and more active now. My posture has improved to a great extent. I feel more confident.

ORIGINAL POST

Hi you! If you are struggling with your first complete push-up, then this post is for you. I was there once and all I can tell you is "yes, it's not that easy"

I am not going to lie to you about how long it takes to get to one push-up. It took me almost two months! I've had several fractures in both of my arms but in my mind, I had decided. I am gonna do it even if I have to do it for the rest of my life and not achieve anything. I became that kid in school who'd not listen to anyone and keep doing the stupid thing even if everyone kept taunting me.

Back in my college days, I started going on jogs, did skipping and some bodyweight training. It was nothing compared to how I am keeping myself fit these days and I am sure the future me can say the same about my future fitness. It's just like brushing your teeth. You have to do it so much that your brain starts considering it a daily or semi-daily necessity without which it will be hard to function. The puzzle will not be complete until you do it.

After three months of just hanging from a bar, doing negative pull-ups, jogging, running and home workout sessions, I was finally able to manage a single pull-up. Not even a complete pull-up. I was almost able to completely lift my entire body. Let's say 80 percent of an entire pull-up. Three months! And it felt so good! I was literally smiling and hopping like a kid after doing it. Probably because I had never done it before!

You'll get there, if you don't get there today, you'll get there someday. Do the kind of workout that makes you happy. Divide your body fitness and work individually on different parts. This will keep the stress off and you will look forward to working out almost everyday, because there will be variety. Read experiences that are similar to yours on Quora or maybe Reddit! They will make you feel wholesome and you will not feel alone. Treat the internet like a gift. It has so much to offer you. Oh! and diet! If you start eating healthy, you will develop a taste for it and form a rigid opinion upon what goes inside your body. You'll get mindful about your eating habits and whenever you decide to eat, your brain will automatically announce the nutritional information to you.
So, I am at 1 pull-up (80%) and 8-9 push-ups. Remember, months ago that number was zero. Progress always feels good. Reward yourself with progress. :) Have a good day/night!

@mattw I really relate to this story. I have always been super intimidated with discussing stuff in this subreddit.

I am a complete utter beginner, it has been weeks for me and doing BWF also teaches me patience. I am super far off from the pull ups, but im concentrating on the process and just listening to my body, form. Right now im currently on incline push ups and damn the results after 2 weeks, I get lower and lower.

More negatives most of the moves + more patience ofc. Consistency and discipline is crucial also. Im glad to hear your story OP. Hopefully through time I will be able to have one decent full ROM push up. Haha

@orthodoxcrusader Aww, thank you so much for this wholesome comment. It made my day. I get demotivated too by a lot of fitness posts. I heard this somewhere that "if you are the only participant in your race, then you are definitely going to win. Just keep running."

I can say this with utmost guarantee that your patience will reward you! Not that I am any expert 😝 But please keep hustling! More power to you. 😄

@mattw I could do 1 wide elbow pushup 3 months ago. Now days I do anywhere from 6 to 15 depending on whether I put them up front or later in my workout, or how fast or slow I do them.

It's sometimes frustrating and surprisingly low reps but I am sure in one thing, 6 is now absolute minimum and that is 6 times better than 3 months ago.

@mattw Wow I was just agonizing two days ago over how I’m having such a hard time moving from incline push-ups to floor push-ups. Sometimes it fees impossible because I started out with zero upper body strength 😞

When I was able to finally do max sets of 4-5 pushups on the floor and then I watched Antraniks push-up form video and once I fixed my form I could not do even a single floor push-up anymore and had to go back to incline.

@mattw I know you’re feeling yourself and that’s cool but getting fit and keeping yourself in shape is not a surrogate for church it is what it is. Don’t make it bigger than it is, don’t become obsessed and don’t take fitness or yourself too serious.