[CONVERSATION] Here's how to start if you are an absolute noob!

@legendforlife Looks like the Start Stretching app is based on the Starting Stretching program /@yunus061 sketched out here -- http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html. Just two things to throw out there. First, the app appears to have you do each stretch for 30 seconds, while the page suggests a total of 60 seconds per, split up as needed.

Second, and maybe more importantly, these are static stretches that perhaps should be done after the workout. Dynamic pre-workout stretches are recommended at the bottom here -- http://phraktured.net/molding-mobility.html. Static stretching hasn't been shown to reduce injury, and does reduce your ability to lift in the period following by a small but noticeable percentage.

Other than that, looks good. SL 5x5 is fine, but interchangeable with other beginner LPs that people might be more comfortable with that have different volumes, deloads, or squat frequency. I'd recommend the Starting Strength book for anyone, though, because of its technical descriptions of the lifts.

@kleodug Thanks! I will eventually change the stretch time to 60 sec. For now, honestly, 30 sec keeps me going alright because it's short enough that I don't get angsty... I'm terribly impatient and I'm training myself on extending my stretches for longer.

I think I will start the stretching with the dynamic exercises, THEN end the work out with the static exercises. I don't mind so much the small lifting reduction for now, because * Humblebrag alert LOL * at 5'3'' and 130lbs, I can bench 85lbs, OHP 55lbs, DL 135lbs, and my other lifts are still increasing :)))

@legendforlife Thank you for this! For some reason I've had the worst luck with fitness apps, and I'm excited to try some of these! I'm glad you had the "AUDACITY" to post about cool stuff that works for you

@dawn16 Thank you! Hope this works for you, 'cause I find myself switching around too much before I build any momentum... If I was starting out again, this guide I just wrote is what I wish I had seen. God knows the gigabites of my poor iPhone 4s that went towards those fitness apps, which I only used once and never touched again lol.