Just got accepted to F.I.T! Can you guys answer a question or two?

dkm

I'm going into the Aeronautical Science Flight option there. I've wanted to fly my entire life, and I'm sure F.I.T will provide that, but I'am afraid that it might not provide socially. I'd like to improve my people skills to (there more then fine now...but there like...high school fine you know)? SO whats the social life like at Tech, is it party-study-party, study-party-study, study-study-study-study-bathroom break-study? Give me an example of your average night.

@dkm It honestly depends on you. If you want to go party all night or maybe focus on school work, there are always people that you can relate to.
You can do a healthy balance of "partying" and studying and maintain a 4.0 GPA. It depends on you, your time management skills and how you set your priorities.

There are usually things to do on Friday and the weekends. Once you find a group of people you click well with, there's something to do on the weekdays.

Some people Go Greek, others join clubs specifically for their interests. With over 100 clubs, you're pretty guaranteed to find at least one person who can relate to you.

@happycamper843 I know the school isn't huge, and you said "find a group". So do you find that there are groups and clicks or everyone in generally friendly with everyone?

@dkm I meant there are cliques of course, but everyone is really friendly. Maybe I just notice it more because I'm from NYC and you make eye contact you'll be shanked, but at Tech people say good morning, hold doors open, help you out, smile, make eye contact, start up conversations or jokes etc.

Generally friendly; you can always find one or more people to really relate too if you'd like

@dkm I spend my nights studying if there's a need to. I don't personally really party, nor do I go out of my way to make a lot of friends. I'm social but not really all that outgoing. I like to go home and read or play some video games and drink some scotch or have a cigar (or both). But I do get invited to some parties and even go every once in a while.

You're going to have a better opportunity at a good time now than you would have when I started. There are a lot more new students and there are actually both sexes now, rather than just males. Essentially, exactly what AshKals said, but I wanted to stress his point by adding to it.

@dkm went to a big state school up north then transferred to FIT for my junior/senior year (graduated 2010)...so not sure what it is now...when I was there it was pretty socially dead.

Plenty of clubs and what not for varying interests, so I'd say look for that to be your social angle. I was also 21+ down here so that always provided more options and since I enjoy drinking, was always able to mix that into activities :)

@dkm Alrighty, so for that Flight side of your question:

Unless all you want to do is CFI straight out of college (or crop dust) and want to go to the airlines, keep your major. Otherwise it'd be wise to look into Aviation Management or Aviation Meteorology (the better choice for more job opportunities, but 10x harder as a major goes). My closest friends cover all of these majors and all enjoy their time here so it's up to what you want in the end.

Keep up on your flight training and don't let people get in your way or try to slow you down. Trust me, it happens daily.

Do you have any licenses or flight experience already? (side note, I came into FIT with no flight experience and have 260ish hours during the middle of my junior year, they add up quick).