Just joined a CF gym and I’m confused

nicolenik

I’m a 49 year-old woman brand new to CrossFit but I have been lifting weights for 30 years. I’m well-versed in the traditional style of lifting: working out specific body parts with moderate to heavy free weights, multiple sets, rest in between, etc.

CrossFit workouts are new to me. They kick my butt from a cardio perspective. But I’m wondering how I ensure that I’m working my whole body on a regular basis and doing things that build muscle. For instance, the WODs at my CF gym haven’t included exercises for chest, arms or calves (I’m on my second week).

Is this normal? Should I be supplementing my CF training with traditional weight lifting? Is CF meant to replace weight lifting the old-fashioned way?

** Edited to add the workouts I’ve done so far (I did 3 WODs the first week and I’m on week 2)

Day 1

Combo
4 Supersets:
- 5R KB Strict Press + 10R KB Bent Row
- 5L KB Strict Press + 10L KB Bent Row

Workout
(Odd Rounds 1/3/5/7)
- 20 Russian KBS
- 10 Push-ups
- 200m Run

(Even Rounds 2/4/6/8)
- 20 Alt KBS
- 10 KB Goblet Alt Lunge
- 200m Run

Day 2

3x10 Tempo Front Squat
(3 sec negative)

E3M

Workout:

16 Min AMRAP:
- 50 DB Thrusters (50/35)
- 200m DB Farmers Carry (10 Air Squats every time you switch)
- 50 Alt Single Arm DB Burpee DL
- 50 T2B/K2E

Day 3

Overhead Squat for load: 7 sets, 1 rep each

5 rounds for time of:
• 400m run
• 15 Overhead squat 95/65#

Week 2:

Day 1

4 Supersets:
- 7R/7L Half Kneeling Landmine Press
+ 7R/7L Side Plank Rotations

6RFT:
- 10 DB S2OH (5R/5L @ 70/50)
- 10 Alt DB Snatch
- 10 V-Ups
- 300m Run

Day 2 (today’s WOD)

5 Supersets:
- 10 Weighted Slantboard Squats
+ 5R/5L Bench assisted Single Leg Bridge w/Pause (1 sec at top)

16 min AMRAP:
- 50 KB Goblet Box Step Ups (70/53)
- 50 KBS
- 50 Box Jump Overs
- 50/40 Cal Row

@zou52022 Yep, there won't be isolation moves for those, but arms get used all the time.
Gymnastics tend to work arms and chest for example.
Box jumps work your calves etc

But no, you won't be doing calf raises and bicep curls

@nicolenik Chest/Arms/Calves in the sense of isolation won’t really happen unless you’re in a bench press cycle. CrossFit doesn’t traditionally do iso work unless it’s supplemental at the end.

However, all 3 of those body parts should have been exercised and utilized in some sense within 2 weeks. Push ups, burpees, double/single-unders, box jobs, pull ups, press etc. If your gym somehow managed to miss all of those movements in 2 weeks I’d be really interested to see their programming.

@nicolenik I have felt like my chest was being neglected since I started CrossFit. The only chest work we seemingly ever do is push ups. That was until this past Monday when we did max bench press and I hit 225# for the first time in my life…….after bro lifting for years and years. I’m sure my chest could be stronger in isolation, but the compound movements in CrossFit really benefit more muscles than you might consider to be primary with the movements.

@inept That’s what I thought too. I think I went from benching at least once a week in a regular gym to benching a few times a year. When we did some testing at my CrossFit gym for a weightlifting cycle, I was surprised to see my max was the same and my 3rep max was much higher.

@nicolenik Stop thinking in terms of single muscles and start thinking in terms of movement patterns. For example, upper body push/pull, hip hinge, etc. There shouldalso be a good mix of gymnastic/body weight movements, weight lifting movements, and mono structural movements. And a good mix of priorities (see this CF Journal Article about programming for more explanation.)

Unfortunately, not all CF gyms are good. I would just ask the owner or coach about the programming. If they subscribe to a service, you’re probably good. If they write it themselves, they should be 1.) enthusiastic about it and 2.) able to tell you exactly why they’re doing the things they’re doing.

@nicolenik My box has strength training and a metcon several days a week. Metcon only days are usually a longer metcon.

You rarely see single joint exercises like bicep curls or calf raises in CrossFit. If your box doesn’t do specific strength training in addition to metcons you might want to add your own, or check out other CrossFit gyms.

@nicolenik Agree with others re trust the programming - assuming they use a structure… I had followed traditional gym training for years then saw significant (for me) strength and cardio gains as well as weight loss from sticking 3-4 months of just CrossFit, which I’ve since stuck with. Once you’re over 35/40 it may be better not to mix in other elements, at least until your body adapts somewhat to CrossFit, rather than risk overtraining or injury. Good luck!

@nicolenik The coaches at our gym are very good about form and technique. Always a walkthru before the workout daily and even though your strength may be there, they will make us do just the bar if our form in a complex movement is lacking, new, or needs work. Definitey need self discipline with your own abilities, scale down until you feel comfortable. Not always about total load. It does take some time getting used to the programming. All members are super supportive at our place, a great environment!

Good Luck, im confident you will find joy in crossfit too 💪🔥

@doublev Thanks, that reinforces the strategy I’ve been using. I’m very careful with the weight I use in my workouts, sometimes just using a bar or 12 lb dumbbells. I could lift heavier but I want to get used to the movements and make sure my form is good before I add even more complexity to the workouts.

CrossFit is especially challenging for me because I have herniated disks. I don’t know if I’ll be able to stick with it because of that. I’m used to only single movement, which I adopted as a way to protect my back while working out. But I think maybe I have been overly cautious over the years.

@nicolenik You will strengthen. Work into added weight slowly. Use a belt, and understand the mind to body connection. Focus on the movement and controlling the muscles needed for that movement. Also, learn to breathe, brace, push, and release. The stronger your core, the safer your back will be so anything you can do to strengthen that will help immensely. Until you get to that point, modify and scale in a way that protects your back. Consult your coaches about your concerns, you will quickly learn how best to protect yourself.

Injuries happen 3 ways.
1. Poor form and Technique,
2. Fatigue which compromises form and Technique, and
3. to heavy which also compromises form and technique.

@nicolenik If your legs aren’t screaming at you after a week of CrossFit I don’t know what to say, because almost everyone I know complains about it - even if they’re pretty strong to begin with the volume and intensity gets them. A week without bar or ring gymnastics is not impossible but it’s a bit rare.

@nicolenik Same history but I'm ten years older. All I can say is trust the programming. You won't do specific body part exercises but I gained 7 lbs of muscle, mostly arms and chest and back in my first two months of CrossFit. Don't underestimate what burpees and other body weight and gymnastics exercises can do to muscles that have been doing the same stuff for years!