Just started working out again. (33 M, 6'0", 200lbs)

lunk173

Took a pretty long hiatus. Always used to be in really good shape. Doing both cardio and lifting. Solid muscle. Single digit body fat %. Then I had a couple kids and got a desk job and got really OUT of shape. Not super overweight because I kept my eating at least somewhat in check. Not great in that aspect either but always kind of kept an eye on the scale and cut weight through diet when I felt I was getting too high a number on the scale.

Fast forward to this week.

I started trying to do just some fairly light lifting through the Street Parking app. And I can't get ANY level of intensity before I feel like passing out or throwing up. We are talking 5 minutes of fairly slow lifting at their minimum RX for men's lifting. And still feel the soreness with what little lifting I did do. I feel like this could partially be from just a lack of working out for several years. But I also wonder if there isn't some kind of underlying issue that has developed during my years of inactivity? (not seeking medical advice just asking for others experiences with this sort of thing)

I have had blood work done in the past year or so and everything looks normal there as it always has. I just wonder if anyone else has had this experience and if I should just keep doing a little bit at a time until I get back to where I can actually get through a solid 60 minutes?

As a little bit of background I did football, wrestling, and track in high school. And for about 5 years after that I feel like I only got in better shape as I continued a pretty strong work out regiment. And now here we are just trying to get through 5 minutes without dying.

Any advice or word of encouragement are appreciated! Thanks!

@lunk173
I feel like this could partially be from just a lack of working out for several years. But I also wonder if there isn't some kind of underlying issue that has developed during my years of inactivity? (not seeking medical advice just asking for others experiences with this sort of thing)

These two are the same thing. Not working out for several years causes muscle atrophy and an atrophy of your aerobic system. So yeah, the underlying issue is: You out of shape, my brother.

Also, you're in your 30s now. Recovery is slower. Add in aerobic activity/easy work (running, cycling, yoga) to speed recovery. I didn't believe that for a long time. I recently started adding regular endurance work to my routine. I'm amazed at how much faster my recovery time is. (36 M here). Training needs to be balanced between strength, endurance, and maximum work (tempo runs, metcons, etc.).

But yeah. You're just out of shape. You remember what it was like in your prime, but you're old and slow and fat now (even though it may be skinny fat). So keep working, and you'll still be older, but less slow and fat.

@dawn16 Haha thanks man! I'll keep working at it and try to mix in that yoga from time to time. I got really into yoga for a bit but again haven't done that in a while either. Try to quit stealing french fries though.

@dawn16 This guy has it right. Cardio is neglected a lot in lifting(can't burn my gains!) but you can't lift shit without a healthy heart/lungs. Your muscles need blood and oxygen. Cardio>weights imo.

@lunk173 Getting DOMS doesn't take much. Your body just needs to adjust.

One thing to look forward to is incredibly rapid progress thanks o noobie gains and muscle memory.

I took a 20 year break from working out and am shocked at my gains at an eating deficit in the 2 short months I have been back.

@gemmy Yeah the fact that I got the soreness after what little I started with was surprising but not concerning. Looking forward to keeping on keeping on! Hopefully I can have some progress pics for yall at some point in the not too distant future!

@lunk173 I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago. I found setting goals helped keep me motivated. At first the goals were easy. Like go for a 30 minute walk 5 times a week, then I set the goal of go to the gym 3 times a week, after that I became more focused on lifting so the goals got more specific and heavier. Keeping the goal realistic and setting a set time to achieve it is a good way to keep yourself honest. The most important advice I can give to you is don't compare yourself with anyone else because this is your path and you have to enjoy it or you won't keep at it. Good luck!

@lunk173 Yeah, dude...this happened to me too. Know that it will come back. Word of advice. Be perfectly OK with taking your time. Take it extra slow, no big deal. Hydrate the hell out of your body, cut the alcohol (if applicable), and stay positive. Just be OK with taking your time and it will all come back.

Good news is you’re ONLY 33. Better news, I’m nearly 40 and the strongest I’ve ever been. It took a few weeks before it felt like I didn’t want to die. It also took me a day or two longer to recover. I’m now back down to no soreness next day, 4 plate DL, 3 plate squat, and 2 plate bench.

...I probably need to cut back on the alcohol though - stupid e-learning.