keeping strength training to 20 mins

matthias10000

Just turned 50 this year (m, 6', 240lb). Been focused on losing/keeping weight off. Started at 282 last year, fluctuate between 235-240 now.

But time is short and I'm also worried about cardio things. So what I've been doing is short interval runs/sprints for at least 2 miles 6-7 days a week.

Four days a week, I do strength training with KB, bodyweight and trap bar deadlifts (tore bicep so eff that) but strictly keep those sessions at 20mins. Each week, add another rep or increase weight.

Here's a sample:

Sun: run + trap deadlift (coanphilipi program)
Mon: run + walk, hike, yoga or swim
Tues: run + clean & press double kb 55 or single 70lb
Wed: walk, hike, yoga or swim
Thur: run + clean & press single kb 70 or 90lb
Fri: run + walk, hike, yoga or swim
Sat: pull ups + chin ups

So the question is, is 20 min limit stupid/pointless? It keeps the breaks to a minimum, the volume (reps x load) is well in the 10-20k lbs, but should my sessions be longer?

Overall goal is to get maintain and increase strength. My tdl pr is 504, but I was a fat bastard then. I think it's 404 now.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

@matthias10000 depends on how hard you work. I have found that, even on days I don't have full workout time, that I can really get a lot done is a short amount of time - and I'm still better off than not doing it. I've done a fair amount of what would be considered HIIT in the last 8 months, and the most difficult part is realizing how hard you CAN work. few will push as hard by yourself than in a class with others. so you really have to focus when by yourself! I would vary the workouts even more. to increase strength, remember to increase the weight/reps over time. don't overdo it. when is started I couldn't do 10 push-ups, now I do 3 sets of 20!!!

@up4god 100% agree. The other thing is recovery, esp at our age. I didn't want to believe it, squeezing in 4x20min strength sessions a week but I changed it up to every other day, so it's 3 one week, 4 another, and found better strength gains (getting back into the 400s in TDLs, woohoo)

@matthias10000 Have you looked into HIIT at all? I haven't done it myself but I hear great things. For people who prefer not to spend their time in long cardio sessions, HIIT seems to be the way to go.

@matthias10000 Great progress!

My strength training routine is somewhat similar, going quickly between exercises, but a little longer--about 30 minutes. I'm no expert, though. People who camp on machines or a single exercise in the gym are a pet peeve of mine.

Wasn't familiar with that 10-20,000 pound benchmark for a workout. When I get to the leg lift machine, I'm probably at the upper end, otherwise the lower half.

Weight-wise I'm about the same height and started where you are now in 2014. I'm fluctuating at 225-228 right now and would like to lose 15-20 pounds this winter.

@bfg33 Ah, 225 would be sweet!

Ya, I've been working through this idea of volume. Of course 2000 reps of 10lbs dumbbells would be dishonest.

The idea is beat last week's numbers. You increase total rep/volume by 20%, get a different combo of push/pull exercises.

@matthias10000 I've noticed that there's a real difference in 8-10 pounds in this weight range. I was down to about 217, but put on 15 pounds early in the pandemic. Have taken about half of that off since late May.

See an error in my earlier post. In 2014, I started about where you were last year.

@bfg33 It's weird, the first 20 pounds was kinda easy, but once I got to 240 it's been very hard. I want to say, 'oh this is my genetic weight' but I know it's an excuse.

Abs are made in the kitchen... And I'm a lousy cook.