Kettlebell College Class Feedback

nikkie7

I am a master's student in kinesiology. As part of my culminating project, I am creating a few activity classes the university could adopt and offer as part of its curriculum.

The following is a bit lengthy but for those who get to the end and offer feedback, I truly thank you. This sub is filled with absolute KB maniacs and gurus that it'd be sill not to ask for your input. Below is the schedule I have so far.

Tentative Schedule

1-6
  • Movement Fundamentals
  • Hip hinge
  • Wall facing squat
  • Stability
  • 1-Squat, 2-swing, 3-clean, 4-press, 5-snatch, 6-Turkish get-up
  • Sumo DL/Goblet squat
  • Halo/bottoms-up holds

Intro to KB Complexes
  • Clean + Press
  • Thruster
Maintain intensity, decrease volume, plyos
  • Low volume, technique focused

10-min Clean + Press Test
  • In pairs or groups of 3
  • AMRAP in 10-min or until technical failure.
  • If we have enough KB, double C+P, if not switch at 5min mark.

The Wolf Jr (Day 1&3) Prep Phase
  • Overview of mvmts/program
*Wolf Jr is just The Wolf but just days 1 & 3 bc the classes are 2 days/week

• Wolf Jr W1 D1 & D3
  • Wolf Jr W2 D1 & D3
  • Wolf Jr W3 D1 & D3
  • KB for Bodybuilding & Accessory work
  • TBD
  • TBD

10-min C+P Re-test?

So the above info is a tentative schedule for the 16-week course. This class isn't meant to be perfect, but I do want it to be as solid as possible. The classes are 50min long so the difficult part is presenting the requisite information and providing clear and concise instruction that can carry over into a good workout.

The first 6 weeks is an overall introduction to general movements like the hip hinge, proper core bracing, stabilization, etc. With each of those weeks being focused on the big kb movements. Some of the individuals will have had zero exposure to KB and almost zero exposure to structured exercise. Or exercise at all for that matter.

I made the schedule such that it has your basic KB movements that will all have their own dedicated week during the first 6 weeks. Then, once they have a good base, I would open up the pandoras box of KB complexes. I want to include a 'test' of some sort so my plan was to introduce them to the Clean & press during week 7 and then do a 10min C&P test on week 8.

Moving on from the test week, I would do a short, modified program that I called Wolf Jr. It's 3 weeks and includes only days 1 and 3 (due to the 2-day/week schedule). From there I figured it would be nice to round out the course with some ways to incorporate KBs into traditional bodybuilding/gym-going training. This would include things like RDLs, walking lunges/bulgarians, shrugs, floor press, pullovers, etc... Depending on how the class is feeling, this could also serve as a deload.

Typically, when I teach these activity classes, I like to leave finals week open and finish class the week prior so they have one less thing to worry about. So, I am considering have week 14 be an off week and then re-test their 10min C&P on week 15. Leaving week 16 free.

@great79 Absolutely. I should’ve put that list in chronological order. But my focus will be the foundational movements like goblet squat and sumo deadlift to reinforce the position for the swinging movements.

The progression will essentially follow Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. So wall facing squats, sumos, hinge work yada yada. Then move onto the swings.

As far as the snatch goes, I agree. Even now I will still get bumped a little when doing them. It’s rarer now that I’m more experienced but it happens. So a beginner will have even more cases. The good news is I would have 16 weeks with them to essentially work on those 6 kb movements.

I just wanted to incorporate some variety in training and programming so I can keep their attention.

@nikkie7 Yes, good idea to follow enter the kettlebell. Also adding something like gorrila rows or just regular kettlebell rows would be great too.

@great79 Oh for sure. That I consider “bodybuilding” work as most people who are unfamiliar with KBs would still know that movement. I also would include RDLs, bench press with KBs Nd other things of the sort.

@cavitill Oh dude that's awesome. I'm definitely gonna read this. Thanks for showing me this. And yes, I agree as far as the true foundation of KB movements. But many of these people won't even know what proper sitting or standing form looks like so teaching them all how to move in an athletic and biomechanically sound way is going to be one helluva task. Hence, the focus on what I would consider the foundational athletic movements like the hip hinge and squat. The goblets and sumos help to that end.

@nikkie7 The 1 kb movement I believe provides a completely different stimulus than you can get with any other tool is the single arm front squat. Heavy. Armpit has to be shut with elbows pointed down. To hold a super heavy kb up with 1 arm, youll have to jut your scapula out and then slide it across your back in toward your spine and lock it in place there. Keep forearm straight up and down like a column and flex your forearm and bicep. Now youre ready to squat it without the kb falling down.
Ryan

Edit to add: since the kb front rack has the lifter holding the kb in front of the torso instead resting it atop of the torso like barbell/dumbbell, kb people are prone to shoulder problems unless they have the shoulder capsule tugged on from oyher directions in their program. Think lying cable flys, standing low to high flys, and any arm suspension movements like dead hangs or pullups or even better yet - dynamic suspended movemwnts like kipping toes to bar.