Kettlebells and OCD

leeabc

Hello,

Make (5’11, 180). I thought I was decently strong (100 pull-ups, dB shoulder press with 70 lbs, bb rows with 165lbs, etc), but kettlebells really humbled me. When i first started, I could barely do kb swings with 30 lbs and I slowly worked my way to 40 lbs (I can do 4 sets of 25 reps in 10-15 minutes)

Here are my current stats:

kB swings: 40lbs x 100 reps (4 sets of 25)
KB shoulder press: 40lbs x 24 reps (3 sets of 8)
TGU: 15lbs x 10 (5 on each side).

Here are my two questions:

1) My TGU is Incredibly weak and I am not sure why. I do it with 15 lbs and it kicks my ass. I tried doing it with 30lbs and I couldn’t keep my arm straight. Any recommendations?

2) I currently have 5 kbs (15, 30,40,53,53). I am very tempted to buy more kettlebells, but I am not sure I need them. For instance, it bothers me that my KBs are 30lbs instead of 35lbs (standard) and 40lbs instead of 44lbs (standard). Am I being too OCD? Or would purchasing those additional KBs be beneficial?
Should I buy another 40lbs to have a matching set or two 44lbs?

My goals are to get stronger and get leaner (about 18% body fat. I have been lifting for years, but only been messing around with kettlebells for 3 months.

I am sorry about the rambling, but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about this for days.

Tl;dr: I currently have 5 kbs (15, 30,40,53,53). Does it make sense to buy a 35 and 44lbs kB? Should I buy a matching set for any of these weights?

Thanks!

@dawn16 I don’t think I am, but that’s a great point. I think I was thinking of it strictly in terms of a shoulder stability/mobility exercise.

How would it look like to engage the lats during the TGU? Pushing my shoulders upwards?

@leeabc Lats pull the arms down. Sit down and put your wrists on your knees keeping the arms straight. Now press down. That's lats.

Also, shoulders are ear poison. Don't shrug.

@leeabc Do partial getups if you cannot do a full one. Go as far as you can with good form and then go back. Do arm bars. Do waiter walks.

Yes, you are being too OCD. Also, having kettlebells is not useful if you don't use them. So buy only what you will use and this depends on your program. Again, the standard starting set is 16, 24, 32 (35, 53, 70). Go heavier rather than double if you are going to buy something.

And add some weight to your swings.

@leeabc Haha I feel you man! I waited for an extra couple of weeks to make sure the 16kg was in stock, I just couldn't buy a 14kg or an 18kg! The 16 was kicking my ass on swings and I was too intimidated by it to even try a GU. I bought a 12kg, which really f'ed me up (not being in the 8,16,24,32,.. Range..) now a couple of weeks later, GU is going good with 12 and two handed swings are good with the 16, looking to buy a 24 in the near future. I know it's a big jump, but seeing how fast I adapted to the 16 I hope it's do able, it also saves money!

@leeabc The step loading process from Simple and Sinister really helped me. I was struggling making the jump from 30lbs to 24kg in TGU (kettlebell drought makes it hard to get those standard increments). The breakdown videos from Mark Wildman and then loading 2 reps (3rd and 4th set) adding two high weight reps per week really worked for me.

@leeabc TGU: Just practice the one rep, and seed it in during your regular TGU work. Do one to start, and then complete with the 15#.

As to more bells: there isn't incremental benefit to those sizes really against what you have. In general though, from a financial perspective it's pointless relative to the cost of the bells themselves. Looks like you're missing a 32kg though so I would get that.

Also, if you can do 2 hand swings, switch to one hand if you haven't already.

@romanschapter8 Thank you for your response. Do you think there is a point to getting matching sets to my existing kbs? I have OCD, so I am not sure if I truly need them or I am just looking for an excuse to get a thrill out of buying more gym equipment. Thanks!

@leeabc Mirroring what /@charliepoope-you said: "Again, the standard starting set is 16, 24, 32 (35, 53, 70). Go heavier rather than double if you are going to buy something."

@leeabc I would think of it more of a nice to have. I had the same thought when I got started a few months ago, I purchased sets of KBs instead of just singles (probably because I’m so used to DBs). You really only need one good kb of a particular weight. Sure there are moves to do with double KBs, but starting out you’ll be better off with singles. Spend the money on additional weights and get a matching KB later. Just my personal opinion.

@leeabc I think you will find more utility if you can trick your OCD into thinking a complete set of KBs is a single set of whatever you need to complete your workouts (in a nice neat line in order of size, if that helps!). I own 16 kg - 40 kg in 4 kg increments and that gets me through basically everything. I actually have a set of two adjustable KBs that go from 12-32 kgs that I can use for double KB work when I need. To me that feels "complete". It would be tremendously expensive and not particularly useful to have doubles of literally everything. Good luck and have fun!

@leeabc The only reason why I have double kettlebells is to do upper body training (bodybuilding style). So I keep a set of 44s, 53s and 62s for overhead press, chest presses, Gorilla rows and shrugs. For lower body movements and for farmer's walk I use heavier kettlebells with offset weights (70, 80 and 88).
The way I see it, you already have a double 53 and with your prior weight training experience it would benefit you more to move up in weight to a 62lb or a 70lb bell than to get another 44, 40 or a 35.

@starling Thank your for your detailed response. So do you use a set of 70s, 80s, and 88s for lower body exercises?

At what point would you move away from higher weights (Eg 62, 70) to pairs?

Thanks!

@leeabc You can use a set for heavy KBs but like I mentioned I use offset weights because they make more sense. So I use either a 70 with an 80 or an 80 with a 90 for rack squats, double sumo deadlifts, farmer's carry. At this level it doesn't make sense to buy doubles. Because the weights are still close enough to not cause massive imbalance (as long as you change hands after each set) and having different weight sizes gives you the option to move up on heavy single kettlebell movements as you progress and get stronger, like swings or cleans.

Buying double kettlebells only makes sense at lower weights. In your case, since you already have good structural integrity from weight training, it won't be the best use of your money to get a pair of 44s or 35s. You already have a pair of 53s. Go up to a 62 or a 70.
If you're gonna get a pair of 35s or 44s just to offset your OCD then remember these things aren't exactly cheap with shipping. If you still want to go ahead and get them, just remember that there are worse ways to spend your money.
All said and done, you'd derive more utility and save more money from moving up on the weights than getting doubles for lower weights.

Back