Knee Replacement before 50?

nitsud

I (44f) am looking at a knee replacement before 50. I’m 5’10”, overweight, work out 5 days per week , lifting classes and spin, and my joints have always been bad, even as a kid from sports and genes (autoimmune disorder). I want to stay active as long as I can. Has anyone had a replacement before 50 and regretted it? I have a torn meniscus and arthritis. I’m at the point where the chronic pain is keeping me from the gym. Also, I don’t see a lot of women on the page, is this a mostly men’s page?

@nitsud I have both my knees replaced, one at 58 and the other at 61. I know I’m older than you but with the first one I’d been in pain for about 6 years bc we had no insurance. It has been a good send, best thing I ever did. If you want to ask me any questions I’m quite happy to talk about it

@nitsud Absolutely! I suffered for 4 years in terrible pain. The next day I was up and walking, recovery period if you follow the physical therapist instructions and exercises at home is about a month.

@jvb Kneeling is pretty hard and I think surgeons advise against it.

As a 63 yo woman, wrestling and martial arts are not something I’ve tried lol I do run but not long distances. Pretty sure if you’re hard on your knees you’d need replacements at some point.

@adzkygodgirl Yeah I figured. They can do them twice and if I continue to train they will last around 10 years.

So that should take to 75.

Ill re assess at that point, meantime there are still so many people requiring a foot in the face or choked out it would be churlish to stop now

@nitsud Did you decide to do it? I’m 46 and getting my right done. Bone on bone and in pain. I had a scope on the same knee last year. I would NOT rec a scope. I feel the scope accelerated my pain and got me to TKR faster. I am 265 but very active, cycle almost 100 miles a week. I’m a big dude, but healthy and ready for this new knee. Good luck if you get it, I’m scared to get mine but want to attack it and get back to working out. Can’t lose the weight everyone wants me too without a working knee!

@bitterknitter I’m not at the point yet. I’m getting an arthroscopic meniscus tear surgery next month and dr said a replacement will be in the future. Tbh, I will get it as soon as I get the go-ahead. Thank you for the tip about the scope and good luck with your replacement

@nitsud I'm a 52 year old female who had my right knee replaced at 49 (few months before turning 50) in 2021. It was well overdue, from years of running, kickboxing, and my nursing career. I'm 5'5", not overweight (143). It is a brutal surgery. The recovery (for me) took way longer than anything you see online. You will go to physical therapy, where they will scare you into pushing 90 degree flexion of your knee on the stationary bike "or you'll get scar tissue and need revision surgery". It was literal torture for me, an avid exerciser since age 20.

I did the exercises to the best of my ability and did not cave into the bully culture of my doc and PT. I did recover slowly but now I can do a quad stretch again and get my heel to my butt (have been able to do that for over a year). In retrospect I am glad I did it, and would do it again. Just know that the pain at times is comparable to childbirth (if you have had kids-I had 2- and the pain rivals the one 1 I had without meds). Make sure you have a good doctor and PT, those that listen to you and are available for you.

I see others on here saying it's a piece of cake. Just want to give you another side of it, not to scare you, but for another perspective.

Take care and good luck!