32yo F and 5 knee surgeries. Am I doomed?

@elyonathan85 Not the same injuries / surgeries, but I had ankle surgery and 2 foot surgeries in 3 years (I shredded an ankle tendon into 6 pieces and destroyed my plantar fascia in the aftermath). I did PT religiously after surgery, and when I was done with my medically needed PT I worked with trainers who focused on injury rehab. One foot / ankle is at like 99% normal (currently about 4 years post surgery). The other one is probably at like 90-95%, and still improving little by little, about 1.5 years out surgery.

You're not doomed, but it takes consistent and intentional work. As others have mentioned, your best bet it physical therapy for as long as your insurance will allow it, followed up by some type of conditioning program that focuses on helping you overcome your specific injuries.

Good luck!

ETA: I'm also a woman in my 30s. Thought I'd never run again, but am back up to running 8-10 miles for my long runs after years and years of injury + surgeries + recovery.

@elyonathan85 Others have given great advice already, just want to add that if you like aerobic exercise like running you might want to look into rowing. Lots of similar principles but much gentler for your joints. Could do it at home / gym on a machine or on the water with a Club (which adds another layer of enjoyment) and works quads and hamstrings.

@dawn16 I second this! I really enjoy running and was bummed when I was too injured to do it for years. I despise the elliptical and the stairmaster personally, so I could never motivate myself to do them consistently. Rowing was my go-to when recovering from multiple foot/ankle surgeries.

@elyonathan85 NOT A DOCTOR OR PHYSIO Im just recommending what I have done during times of knee pain

I would continue with any activity you can do pain free(or very minimal initial pain that subsides and isnt worst after)

dragging and pushing a sled or sandbag are very knee friendly ways to work your legs because its concentric only. not the best muscle builders but they will build some muscle and strength.

hamstring curls are very knee friendly. typically knee extension is what causes pain. you can do hip hinges probabably and those dont really use the quads(knee extensors) at all.

You could get a muscular and strong posterior chain with RDLs/goodmornings, hamstring curls, and hip thrusts. then take the gains in your quads you can get with sled work. isolating your adductors with a machine is going to add some size and strength to your legs and the adductors assist in like every leg movement and will keep your legs(and knees) more stable in everyday movement.

@elyonathan85 I am sitting here reading this with a throbbing knee. I never had knee surgery before but can barely walk and am waiting for the date to be set for my "scope". I have nothing for you but empathy: its like as soon as I overcome a setback something worse happens.

@elyonathan85 I am a former soccer player and landscape business owner and have been having terrible knee issues / pain. I have been following
KNEESoverTOES program made by Ben Patrick and it’s phenomenal. Can’t recommend it enough. Ease into it as ligaments and tissue takes longer to strengthen than muscle.

Definitely work in some ice baths too.

@elyonathan85 It's definitely possible, but talk to your PT and figure out a plan to strengthen your knees first. You'll want to go slowly, but you can definitely progress and put on significant strength in your lower body, even after surgery. The more you do, the more you set yourself up for success in the future.

@elyonathan85 I’ve also had a handful of knee surgeries and other orthopedic surgeries. I started to work with Erin Carson from ecfit strength and am back competing in Ironman. I can not say enough about her programs.

@elyonathan85 I’m 53 and I’ve had both knees completely replaced. I had many Acl surgeries like you in my youth. I’m thankful for the new knees but I’m disabled. My life sucks compared to my peers. You don’t want this life.
However, I have developed and followed closely, a pretty thorough 12 week strength program. I’m a CPT, also certified virtually and starting out on my own. I can get you where you want to be…I’ve had my shoulder replaced twice and half of my spine fused. My last surgery was March 2020. I was 240 pounds. I’m 6’1” I am currently still 6’1”(😂😂)…185 pounds at 15% body fat. You’ll be able to do everything you want to do after I’m through with you. Guaranteed. 🦿🦿🦾

@elyonathan85 I had 2 ACLs in my early 30s - sports injuries but my surgeon said it was always going to happen due to my genetics. I’m 46 now and run/cycle a fair amount. My knees click a bit but I believe because they became unbalanced when I was training at home during lockdown.

Anyway, I pinged something in my knee running and had an MRI last week - the consultant said everything is in good order, strong and only very minor signs of arthritis (which is common after ACL grafts). He said they key is to stay strong and balanced and I’ll have years before any issues slow me down. Injury was just a sprain.

Keep exercising and try not to worry!

@elyonathan85 Not a doctor but I've recently fallen in love with swimming because I have plantar fasciitis and being on a treadmill/elliptical/stairclimber is hard on me. I love swimming! It's currently the one form of cardio I can really push myself in and I feel it does my joints so much good.

And I have some knee issues on and off. However, I've found that weighted hip thrusts on a Smith machine are so good for building my quads and glutes and don't seem to bother my knees at all. Doing weighted hip thrusts is finally what transformed my pancake booty at age 43!

@elyonathan85 35 here and 6 under my belt, last one was when I was 28.

I just started running half marathons, I play soccer weekly, and lift heavy shit along with bodyweight fitness.

It is not to late.

Back