Loaded Standing Back Extension - makes sense or insane?

@rynsey Holding the weight on your chest while you extend backwards is going to compress your spine. The entire point of the back arch is to extend it. So, you're sort of doing the opposite of what you've set out to, which might not agree with your back long term.

I suppose you could try it with a weight dangling behind you (from a weight belt, tied at your pelvis) if you really wanted to - that should at least provide downwards distraction.

What's wrong with the unweighted version she shows, tho?

@dawn16
What's wrong with the unweighted version she shows, tho?

Nothing wrong with it, just feel that to compensate for hours of sitting/slouching with only a few minutes of exercise you need to add load to make it close.

Holding the weight on your chest while you extend backwards is going to compress your spine.

Doesn't it depend on how you do it and with what weight? I am trying my best to flex my whole back while in the back extension position (isometric hold) to minimize the compressive force on my spine, so isn't it possible to do this without harming the spinal discs while strengthening the back muscles?

I suppose you could try it with a weight dangling behind you (from a weight belt, tied at your pelvis) if you really wanted to - that should at least provide downwards distraction.

I hadn't considered loading the base of the spine vs the top of the spine. Maybe I will give it a try.

@rynsey Re: where you hold it. If you're holding it at your chest, it's always going to compress because gravity acts downwards. Depending of how much your back arch, the weight may add torque, and your spine will act as a long lever (with the arching part being the fulcrum). Which means it will extend you backwards more, sure, but it will compress.

If you suspend it "below the fulcrum", it will traction your spine downwards while you extend. Or it should, it theory: in practice, all that depends on where/how you're arching and where / how you suspend the weight.

I think for this sort of thing you might be better off laying face up over a foam roller or something. Hold a dumbbell / kbell in your hands and do something like a pull over position with it.

Back