Long term high protein diets bad for your Kidneys? Past 5 years of research.

@kpatrick1111 I have not read the studies citied but are the studies done on healthy individuals or just general public?

I recently saw a study that said intermittent fasting leads to early death. The notes at the end of the study said the people who were in the actual study were stall we say “average Americans” have eaten a sugar laden diet for the majority of their lives, little to no exercise, predominantly sedentary lives.

So when they stopped eating continuously their bodies found it incredibly hard and therefore the outcomes of the study became fact.

@kpatrick1111 I’m a beginner. what should I believe now. there are both positives and negatives in the comment section 🥲. I try to get 60-70g protein as I weigh 75 kilos. will that be a problem?

@kpatrick1111 Its important to note that a 'high protein diet' is absolutely not a diet that consists of the standard recommendation of the consumption of 0.8g-1g per pound of body weight. When researchers discuss the potential renal issues related to high protein diets they are referring to amounts in excess of 2g+ per pound of body weight.

@amberlynnmccormick "there is a lack of consensus regarding the formal definition... most definitions set a threshold between 1.2 and 2.0 g/kg per day" That's taken from the Meta study, an analysis of several other studies.

@kpatrick1111 The highest-protein group (Q4) was also only consuming ~1.7g / kg of protein on average, which is less than what many bodybuilders consume; however, "The participants in the higher quartile groups in daily protein intake were more likely to be young, male, smokers, taking more alcohol and active, and were more highly educated with a higher income level. Participants in the higher quartile groups tended to have a higher body mass index (BMI), lower systolic blood pressure (SBP) and lower prevalence of hypertension. Hemoglobin, serum albumin and fasting plasma glucose levels were higher in the higher quartile groups.

The Q4 group were also drinking more alcohol and smoking more, which could effect the results.

@vick24 They track those factors so the researchers don't come to misleading results. Typically you pull out factors like those, run the statistics again, compare the new results and come up with a "Confidence rating".(This is a gross oversimplification) If that confidence rating is too low it means the data collected is too weak to say anything for certain, even if there appears to be evidence.

@kpatrick1111 Layne Norton has done several interviews, podcasts, and videos covering this topic, basically its BS, no evidence that too much protein hurts a healthy kidney, and very scant evidence that protein effects an already unhealthy kidney

@kpatrick1111 I appreciate you posting this to dispel the common myth of “oNe GrAm pEr LB bRo”. This is repeated time and time again by misinformed individuals who just eat up the marketing stunts by influencers and companies who only want to maximize their profits by selling as much of their “crappy” whey protein to uneducated weight lifters.

People will defend these influencers to the death even when you show them the science that whole egg is much more digestible, better utilized and bioavailable than just whey protein powder mixed with water or milk, most of which is excreted out after pummeling the kidneys with excess work.

I applaud your efforts. I hope you stay strong against all the negativity and bogus “science” that’s being thrown your way to invalidate your data and evidences.

You should consider a career in the medical field. It’s efforts towards reeducation like these that help at least a portion of the general population to let go of their “beliefs” of health as they begin to defer to trained health professionals who only want to better their quality of life and longevity.

Back