Long-term program circulation/rest periods/KBOMG1

vishalhost

Hello All,

Wall of text incoming.

I have been training consistently with kettlebells since April. Now I'm at the point where some helpful advise would be much appreciated.

To summarize my journey so far, I spent 6 months going through a self-made program. Starting from simply getting a feel for the very basics of movement. My starting point was not very good, but in the end I had quite decent but basic set of moves in the mix (swing 2hd and alternating, C&P, TGU, front/goblet squat, snatch, bent over row and floor press).

Running a program like that every single week started to become a bit boring so I decided to try a ready made Double Kettlebell Precision program from Joe Daniels. I'm now on my second run of the program using 2x24kg bells.

Now to my actual questions, I have two points of concern: 1) a week or so rest period should be thrown in between programs (or so I've heard). Is there a guideline when it should be had, e.g. after heavy programs only, or after certain amount of training weeks have been reached regardless of how taxing the program?

2) This might be a bit program specific question. After finishing second run of Double Kettlebell Precision my plan is to introduce STKB Complexes 6 week program, KBOMG1(single) and KBOMG1(double).

I'm uncertain in which order should I run the programs and should I have a week of rest after Double Kettlebell Precision before continuing.

Current idea is to move directly to KBOMG1(single) as I have had two months of pure double bell work, have a week of rest (just walking/other low intensity training), do STKB Complexes 6 week program followed by KBOMG1(double), rest and then figure out what to do going forward.

I'm talking about specific programs, but the question is more about how to structure kettlebell training involving different modules and including proper recovery/rest periods.

@vishalhost The man himself has been summoned so he’ll be here shortly, but I’ll add my 2 cents.

Rest or deload periods are usually after about 4-8 weeks of training, maybe more if you’re receiving coaching and they’re closely monitoring you. So yes, after a full program cycle is a good time to take that deload. That being said, “rest” does not mean “no activity”. You still want to train and move. I would say just walking like you mentioned is even not enough; deloads are actually a great time to hone and refine your form and technique with lighter weights. Still lift your kettlebells during deloads!

The fact that you are asking these types of questions is awesome though honestly. You’re on your way to self-sufficiency as far as programming goes.

@chriscrossan Thank you, that actually answers one of the major issues I was having. Felt like I was setting myself up for some problems down the line. Deloading in a more frequent cycle sounds like a good idea for my knees, etc.

As for staying more active during deloading/rest. I'll look into some light complexes that could be performed, might also be a period during which I could try and expand my steel mace move set. At the moment only performing 360s and alternating circles after I've been out for a walk.