Looking for a program advice for distance runners

qwertqw

I've been kettlebelling for 3+ years, but my main sport is distance running (5-6 days a week, between 25-60 miles). I've run the Simple program (not Sinister yet) to go from 12kg to 20kg. I'll alternate with a month or two of including the other basics—e.g., clean 5/5 x 10; press 5/5 x10; goblet squat 5 x 5; snatch 5/5 x 10—to round things out.

Unfortunately, I've run into the issue of too much fatigue accumulating during a training block for a race when running the basics. In the interest of getting the highest ROI without tanking my running, would I be best served running Simple during hard training and saving the other stuff for base phases?

I've searched quite a bit and haven't found much.

@qwertqw Have you looked into the Quick and the Dead (Q&D) Program? Aerobic + Anti-glycolitic (A+A) training? Look for the book on Amazon or wherever.

There are 2 Q&D protocols: 1) swings and push-ups or 2) snatches. Pavel does say this is for advanced athletes so this might be where you fit in.

If not, Pavel recently published a newsletter on A+A training for beginners with the promise of more to follow. The beginner protocol involves only the clean and jerk, two sessions each week. This should be available for free on the StrongFirst website.

@larsan I was gonna check out the Q+D this week. I've become a better and more durable runner with swings and get ups but like the idea and mixing in snatches.

Can you sign up for his newsletter on the SF site?

@larsan 'coincidently,' the science in top running nowadays is largely based on same research/theories that Q&D is. 'Short stacks of fast intervals' and 'lactic acid kills mitochondria.'

@jim_68 Oddly enough, I haven’t looked at the SF site hardly at all until reading the replies. Definitely going to this weekend, thanks!

@qwertqw Maybe switch to something like the Dan Martin Program Minimum or an Easy Strength template when you’re ramping up your running. Dan Martin is really just to stay in the habit of “weight training.”

@qwertqw The only thing that bothers me when running is sore quads, so I don't squat. I do every other kind of lower body exercise. I'm an ultra runner, run 60-100k a week.

@amarie07 Thankfully, I don't tend to get sore quads from hillier trail running, but I'm not doing any ultra-distance running yet. I do tend to reduce the amount of squatting I do when my running gets race-specific.