Looking for advice on progress or improvement

metrolimousines

Long time reader - first time poster in here. Looking for feedback / advice on how to proceed and make more progress, or just a chill pill to remember to trust the process. Context:

••147 lbs, 5’5, I have felt my best mid 130’s, but now just trying to feel good and focus on strength, and leaning out, no just being as thin as possible, my actual weight or the numbers on scale
••39 y/o female
••On week 10 of a more strength focused program. 5-6 strength workouts / week focusing on progressive overload, usually 2-3 cardio sessions per week as well for about 20 min.
••10k steps / day, 5-6 days / week
••Macros are tracked daily, I would say with 90% consistency. I work very hard to keep everything to fit within my macros, but give myself a bit of grace knowing that it won’t be 100% accurate.
••macros and calories are as follows:
1200 calories (135g protein, 47g fat, 60g carbs). Yes, 1200 is low, but I explain a bit below about this - and I also know that there is a margin of error with tracking.
••I wear my apple watch everyday and I’m burning between 2200-2500 calories / day on average.

I will say I am finally starting to see some progress, clothes are fitting better and I am
Feeling stronger. All good things!

However, the progress is slower than I thought, scale hasn’t moved (not surprised on this since muscle gain).

I am wondering how I can improve on what I’m doing? I feel like I have created some really good habits and take this to the next level. Are my macros and calories are where they should be? Adding in some HIIT? I messed up my metabolism pretty bad in my 20’s, so I historically know that I usually need to be on the lower end of intake in order to lean out. However, would love to eat more and still see progress! Welcome to thoughts and suggestions.

@metrolimousines I think you already know your answer, trust the process and stay consistent! It's a slow process. Building muscle on a deficit is rough and only a handful of scenarios work "fast", ie you were very fat and started working out, or your caloric deficit is rather small.

You won't gain a lot of strength and muscle with your current approach, but it'll set you on a good direction towards being healthy, thinner and fit.

You gotta pick your poison. I wouldn't get too caught up in strength if you are being diligent about progressive overload. Just stay consistent, enjoy your newer and improved lifestyle, and results will come, slowly, but surely!

@radiantjedichica Thank you! When you say, I won’t gain a lot of strength and muscle with my current approach - what do you mean? What would you tweak to help grow that? Keeping in mind I’m trying to lose fat also. I know doing this at the same time is tough (as you also mentioned), so curious on what you would suggest. Perhaps I should focus on the fat loss first?

Appreciate your insight!

@metrolimousines My point being that building muscle requires a lot of energy, and if you are trying to slim down, you basically have your body on an "energy deficit" big enough for it to start burning energy storages (aka fat) to keep up with your activities. Now, building muscle will be the least of your body's priority, it'll burn fat to keep you "functioning", but it can't spare enough to build muscle.

I hope that makes sense. You will build some degree of muscle since you are new to fitness, but you won't become bulky (for lack of a better term) while being on an aggressive caloric deficit.

My advice would be to either figure out what your maintenance caloric intake would be, and cut that by like 250 calories, or just keep going as you are (which you are doing amazing btw!) until you feel comfortable with your body weight and take it from there.

I hope that gives you a better picture on why bulk and cut cycles are so popular.

@metrolimousines You have created some excellent habits. Awesome work!

Based on the information given, I'll happily to offer you the chill pill.

Trust the process.

Refeed days are a tool you could consider using. On some cadence (e.g. once every 10 days), have a day that you eat your maintenance calories.

Refeed days are a strategic part of weight loss and body composition management, particularly for those undergoing periods of caloric restriction. Unlike cheat days, which often involve unplanned and sometimes excessive consumption of food, refeed days are pre-planned, controlled increases in calorie intake, primarily through carbohydrates. These help combat all the nastiness that comes with prolonged deficits.

You addressed the large deficit. But I would gently encourage you to increase protein and carbs to bring your daily intake closer to 1700kCal. Even if the progress is a slower, it'll have less of a negative impact to exercise performance, hormone balance, etc. and be more sustainable.

Keep up the great work!

@jjrjr This is really nice feedback, thank you! And thanks for offering the chill pill 😂 I think you’re right, incorporating some scheduled and planned refeed days would be a good idea.

When you say increased carbs - are you along the mindset of 1-1.25g/lb of body fat? I could work to increase just also worried about weight gain. However - need to keep eyes on the prize and if I can up the calories and still get results, that’s a win win!

@metrolimousines I personally keep protein and fat relatively constant and use carbs as my big lever for calorie intake changes, especially when fat loss is my goal.

That range is fine! Total energy balance is going to be what drives fat loss, so long as protein stays high like you have it.

And as always make adjustments based on the bodyweight data you’re collecting 😁

@jjrjr Awesome, thanks. Starting a reverse diet this week, so working up to 1600-1700 cals / week over the next few weeks. Excited to obviously eat more food but hopefully have a bit more energy (I already have a lot, but more never hurts!)

Back