Looking for input for the fitness plan I developed for myself

chocostar

I am relatively new to the world of exercise, having previously led a sedentary lifestyle.

Over the past few months, I have been experimenting and researching online resources to improve my fitness. My current strength training plan consists of three days a week, with each day focusing on one muscle group.

For hands/shoulder/back, I perform 6 of the following exercises:

Bicep curls (4 sets of 10 reps)

Lateral raises (4 sets of 10 reps)

Front raises (4 sets of 10 reps)

Seated press (4 sets of 10 reps)

Triceps extension (4 sets of 10 reps)

Hammer curls (4 sets of 10 reps)

Dumbbell raise overhead (4 sets of 10 reps)

For legs, I perform 6 of the following exercises:

Weighted Calf raises (4 sets of 20 reps)

Rear foot elevated squats (4 sets of 10 reps)

Walking lunges (4 sets of 10 reps)

Front squats (4 sets of 10 reps)

Jumping jacks (4 sets of 60 seconds)

Weighted step-ups (4 sets of 10 reps)

Hip thrusts (4 sets of 10 reps)

For core, I perform 8 of the following exercises:

Push-ups/planks/side planks (3 sets of 10 reps)

Sit-ups (3 sets of 10 reps)

Flutter kicks (3 sets of 10 reps)

Russian twists (3 sets of 10 reps)

Dead hangs (3 sets of 10 reps)

Glute bridge (3 sets of 10 reps)

Bird dogs (3 sets of 10 reps)

Bicycle crunch (3 sets of 10 reps)

For cardio, I aim to achieve an average of 8,000 steps per day and have two sessions of Zone-2 exercise (e.g., biking, jogging) per week. Currently, I average 7,000 steps per day and one session of Zone-2 training.

I am a 24-year-old male, 176 cm tall, weighing 62.5 kg, with approximately 18% body fat. My goal is to achieve balanced fitness for a better quality of life and healthier aging in the long term. I want to target all my muscle groups proportionately and balance cardio and strength training.

I sometimes work out at the gym but mostly at home with limited equipment, including a few dumbbells, a barbell, a bench, a step, and a treadmill (which I prefer not to use). I currently mostly use 5kg dumbbells for weighted exercises and plan to progressively overload as I get better.

Thank you!

@chocostar I notice your program is well-stocked with pushing exercises, but a little scant on pulling. I won't go so far as to suggest specific pulling work, since most of those exercises are very reliant on form and functional understanding to perform safely. But look for good ways to add work for the back ("pull" and "row" type exercises), and glutes/hams. For the latter, you'll see a lot about deadlifting. Just be careful, and start light if you choose to follow any program you see out there. And PLEASE get somebody knowledgable to give you a tutorial and check to make sure you understand form requirements if you decide to start. Deadlifts are a risk to take on too much, too quickly, without adequate knowledge or guidance. But they're great exercises, once you're past the learning hurdle.

Overall, it looks ambitious. I see mention of a barbell, but no mention of any kind of rack. Do yourself a favor and look up exercises using the bar in a "landmine" style. Over-simplified, that involves using some sort of cushion in a corner (a bundled-up towel, say), sticking the unloaded end of the barbell into that corner, and loading the other end, so it can be pushed and pulled as a kind of lever. That can offer a good, equipment-free, safe way to perform kinds of overhead presses (kneeling, one-handed, e.g.), squats, rows, etc. It's a little much to suggest those exercises to someone who may not have any knowledge, but I feel safe suggesting it's a concept you may want to look up, and see how your environment and supplies fit the needs and potential the landmine methodology offers.

Hope you find a program you enjoy, and that offers you the results you're after. All the best!

@chocostar I noticed there is nothing for you back or rear delts. A common cause of shoulder pain and popping is when the front deltoid is more developed than the rest. It can pull the tendons over the joint and cause problems. Your front delts are already working when you do bench or seated press. You need some sort of row or reverse fly to balance that group.