Looking for long-term kettlebell workout plan [M/F]

passingthrough1

Hey guys! So my girlfriend and I just got our kettlebells (8kg and 16kg) an we are looking for a long-term workout plan. I found the "kettlebellworkouts.com" things but it's almost US$50. It does however include 12 weeks beginner, 12 weeks intermediate and 12 weeks advanced training plan which sounds like it's solid.

If somebody can recommend something like this, but cheaper or free, that'd we awesome! We are planning to workout 3 times a week. She is doing some Cardio classes (Zumba) on top of that.

We are both doing this it for two main reasons: Getting in shape and accelerating weight-loss.

Appreciate any tips!

@passingthrough1 Just start swinging!

Do 2-handers until you're comfortable with the movement, then start working on 1-handed swings.

Learn how to do clean and presses from the ground, then start adding them in between sets of swings. So, say you do 20(or 50 or 100) swings in a set, add a set of clean and presses after the swing set.

Learn how to do Turkish Get-Ups. They seem daunting at first but they're really not, just need to practice and learn how to connect your body together.

Add squats into the mix and you're golden.

It can sometimes be tough to create your own regimen, but I think that would be the way to go. Kettlebells are pretty straightforward, you're not going to see a whole lot of intricate muscle-isolation exercises which is what you often see in more detailed workout plans. So with that in mind, I would suggest figuring out how many swings you can do, how many clean and presses you can do, how many squats you can do, then doing a few more than that and extrapolating across 12 weeks.

If you set yourself the goal of doing 20 or 50 more swings every session until you're up to 300 or 400 or 500, then maintaining that, you'll see results.

Once you're comfortable there I cannot recommend Dan John's 10000 Swing Challenge enough. It'll surprise you by teaching you how much physical work your body is actually capable of performing, which is a valuable bit of information. I think it's something that anyone can follow as well, as long as they are comfortable with the swing. The first time I did it I couldn't do 500 swings in one set and so I ended up stretching the program out a little more until I reached 10000 swings, but by the end I had gone from performing the workout in an hour and a bit to getting the swing portion done in 20-30 minutes.

Something I like to do building off the 10k challenge is to set myself a 'maintenance' workout of 400 or 500 swings, with the between sets exercises like squats or pullups or presses, cap the swing portion with turkish get ups for 10 minutes, and then experiment with my remaining energy, doing exercises I'm not completely comfortable with, or gassing my grip with farmers walks.

Don't be afraid of the bell and always listen to your body when it tells you time is up.

@passingthrough1 I use this program, it is a five week program and only a little less expensive than the one you used, but I definitely recommend it if it seems like a good fit to you.

If you set yourself the goal of doing 20 or 50 more swings every session until you're up to 300 or 400 or 500, then maintaining that, you'll see results.

The program I just completed did it a bit differently, there were complexes of exercises like "10 cleans each hand, 10 1 hand swings, 5 snatches, 10 swings, as many sets as possible in 15 minutes" Doing as many sets as possible in a given time gives you a way to push your cardio, I made some great improvements in stamina over five weeks.

I also like the KB domination program because it incorporates pull ups and body weight exercise.

@jim35215 Thanks a lot GreenStrong! Just read through it but it says:

The prerequisites for Kettlebell Domination are that YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO PERFORM THE 6 MAIN EXERCISES IN THE PROGRAM.
If you’re a RAW beginner – this program is NOT for you.
It’s designed for the intermediate to advanced kettlebell enthusiast.

Did you have a KB background before you started it?

@passingthrough1 Yes, I had been doing the movements for a while. You can self teach them, but it takes time, and there is a risk of injury until you get it right. I had a few injuries that kept me from training for a few weeks each, but I've had zero injuries for months.

There are links in the subreddit to youtube videos by Valery Federenko and Strongfirst, both excellent tutorials on two very different styles of movement. The best resource, apart from a live coach, is Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting DVDs, he shows multiple styles, and gives thoughtful information on the advantages of each for different body types and training goals. Cotter's workouts are solid, but most involve equipment most people don't have at home.

@tctruongson Checked it out. Could you confirm that only one kettlebell is used by each person? I saw that many require several weights per workout plan. We only have 8kg for her and 16kg for me.