Losing weight in combination with cardio and full body workout

jdawg37659

I am currently trying to lose weight with a 3-day full body workout that mainly consists of compound exercises. After each workout I do 30 minutes of low to medium intensity cardio (6.5 km/h) and 1.5 hours of cardio in between the days.

What is better or smart to do? More often (4 or 5 times strength training) and then cardio or the current workout what am I doing right now?

Length: 1.75 m
Weight: 108 kg

@jdawg37659 If you want to lose weight you should focus on your diet. Working out and cardio helps, but you can't outrun a shitty diet. So do it in sustainable amounts.

@jdawg37659 Assuming you're a novice 3 full body sessions per week is a smart choice. So what you're doing now sounds solid except that's a LOT of cardio. Am I understanding correctly that you're doing 1.5 hours of cardio on rest days? So 7.5 hours total for the week?

@jdawg37659 I run a Full Body split x3 a week since I do 12 hour shifts at my job. It takes around 2.5-3 hours but if that is too long then there’s a way to tweak it which I’ll explain.

The full routine:
* Hack Squat: 5 sets x 8 reps
* Barbell Bench: 5 sets x 8 reps
* Incline Chest Machine: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Prone Hamstring Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Seated Leg Extensions: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Lat Pulldown superset w Cable Rows: 5 sets x 10 reps
* Overhead Press Machine: 4 sets x 10 reps
* Lateral Raises: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Tricep Extensions: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Bicep Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Weighted Abdominal Crunches: 5 sets x 10 reps

For a shortened version to make it 1.5hrs, you can either superset, take 1-2 sets out or simply not do these exercises:
* Incline Chest Machine
* Lateral Raises
* Tricep Extensions
* Bicep Curls

For each exercise, I prioritize having full range of motion and keeping tension at the bottom. I start extremely light during my 1st warm up set and gradually increase the weight with each working set. I rest for 60-90 seconds in between sets.

Bench press example:
* 1st set warm up: Bar x 8 reps
* 2nd set: 95lbs x 8 reps
* 3rd set: 135lbs x 8 reps
* 4th set: 155lbs x 8 reps
* 5th set: 185lbs x 8 reps
* 6th set 205lbs x 8 reps @ RPE6.5

I keep track of what working set weight I started and ended with which allows me to implement progressive overload as I gain weight/get stronger.

The 🔑 is lifting very LIGHT to compensate for the volume as well as to prevent compromising proper form. (The last set should feel like an RPE6 - 7)

As time goes on, I will attempt to add 2.5lbs-5lbs to every working set when I can properly execute the exercise. If I do encounter resistance, then I keep the same weight until the plateau is broken.

Yes I do this every time I go the gym. Good luck!

Back